First-principles investigations of electronic properties and optical spectra of Cd1−xMnxTe dilute magnetic semiconductors
- 99 Downloads
The dependence of the structural and electronic band structure parameters as well as the optical spectra in zinc-blende Cd1−xMnxTe dilute magnetic semiconductors on the Mn molar fraction in the experimentally realistic range, 0 ≤ x ≤ 0.125, is computed. Our calculations are performed using the full potential linear augmented plane wave method based on density functional theory within a few different generalized gradient approximation approaches. Our findings are in good agreement with published experimental results. The behavior of the band structure parameters and the optical spectra of interest with increasing Mn content is examined and discussed. The information obtained in the present study can be useful for photovoltaic devices in the visible/ultraviolet spectral region.
KeywordsElectronic structure Optical properties Magnetic semiconductors Photovoltaic
The author N.B. gratefully acknowledges the financial support from Qatar Environment and Energy Research Institute (QEERI).
- Blaha, P., Schwarz, K., Madsen, G.K.H., Kvasnicka, D., Luitz, J.: WIEN2 K, An Augmented Plane Wave + Local Orbitals Program for Calculating Crystal Properties, edited by Karlheinz Schwarz. Techn. Universität, Wien (2001). ISBN 3-9501031-1-2Google Scholar
- Furdyna, J.K., Kossut, J. (eds.): Semiconductors and Semimetals, vol. 25, Diluted Magnetic Semiconductors. Academic Press, New York (1988)Google Scholar
- Madelung, O., Schulz, M., Weiss, H. (eds.): Numerical Data and Functional Relationships in Science and Technology, vol. 17. Springer, Berlin (1982)Google Scholar
- Murnaghan, F.D.: Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 30, 5390 (1944)Google Scholar
- Triboulet, R., Siffert, P.: CdTe and related compounds; physics, defects, hetero-and nano-structures, crystal growth, surfaces and applications, part I, physics, CdTe-based nanostructures, CdTe based semimagnetic semiconductors, defects. Elsevier, Amsterdam (2010)Google Scholar