Electrical-optical analysis of photonic crystals GaN-based high power light emitting diodes
Although photonic crystals (PhCs) have been used to enhance the light extraction efficiency (LEE) of light emitting diodes (LEDs) in a lot of researches, the effects of PhCs on the electrical and optical characteristics of GaN-based high power LEDs have been rarely analyzed simultaneously. Herein, the 3D finite-element method (FEM) was employed to investigate the current density distribution in the active layer of LEDs while the LEE was calculated based on the finite-difference time-domain method. Then the influences of several parameters, including the radius, the filling factor, and the etching depth of PhCs on the current density distribution and external quantum efficiency (EQE) of LEDs were examined. It was found that the configurations of PhCs had a significant influence on the electrical and optical performances of LEDs. With the optimized parameters, a 62 % enhancement of EQE and more uniform current density distribution have been obtained comparing to those of LEDs with planar ITO. These analysis results can facilitate the identification of the design rules for high power, high efficiency LEDs.
KeywordsExternal quantum efficiency (EQE) Current density distribution Photonic crystals (PhCs) Light emitting diodes (LEDs)
This work is supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (61077043, 61475084, 61327808) and the Fundamental Research Funds of Shandong University (2014JC032).
- Hsu, C.-W., Lee, Y.-C., Chen, H.-L., Chou, Y.-F.: Optimizing textured structures possessing both optical gradient and diffraction properties to increase the extraction efficiency of light-emitting diodes. Photon. Nanostruct. Fundam. Appl. 10(4), 523–533 (2012). doi: 10.1016/j.photonics.2012.04.005 ADSCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Matioli, E.: Embedded photonic crystals for high-efficiency gan-based optoelectronic devices. PhD thesis, Materials Department, University of Califonia, Santa Barbara (2010)Google Scholar
- Morkoç, H., Shim, J.-I., Yun, J., Kim, H., Litton, C.W., Chyi, J.-I., Nanishi, Y., Piprek, J., Yoon, E.: Current spreading and its related issues in GaN-based light emitting diodes. SPIE OPTO: integrated optoelectronic devices. Int. Soc. Opt. Photon. 7216, 72160V-72161–72160V-72169 (2009). doi: 10.1117/12.808393 Google Scholar
- Wiesmann, C.: Nano-structured LEDs—light extraction mechanisms and applications. Ph.D. thesis, Science Faculty, Universität Regensburg, Regensburg, Germany, pp. 41–45 (2009)Google Scholar
- Xue, S.-J., Fang, L., Long, X.-M., Lu, Y., Wu, F., Li, W.-J., Zuo, J.-Q., Zhang, S.-F.: Influence of ITO, graphene thickness and electrodes buried depth on LED thermal–electrical characteristics using numerical simulation. Chin. Phys. Lett. 31(2), 028501-1–028501-4 (2014). doi: 10.1088/0256-307x/31/2/028501 ADSCrossRefGoogle Scholar