Strained Chirped Fiber Bragg Gratings Based all-fiber Variable Optical Delay Line for Optical Coherence Tomography
- 82 Downloads
We present the novel all-fiber optical delay line that can be realized by exploiting the fundamental distributive reflection characteristics of a chirped fiber Bragg gratings (CFBG). With the assist of a strained CFBG and a designed fiber stretcher, the proposed delay line could perform the function (such as attainment of variable large enough optical delay without dispersion mismatch) of the conventional optical delay line within the optical fiber. While the strained CFBG produced 3.1 mm optical delay, the pair of CFBGs in the opposite direction can manage dispersion imbalance of the delay line. The use of the PZT-based fiber stretcher can enable depth scanning at a high repetition rate for real-time imaging. The performance of the delay element is demonstrated with measured experimental results. OCT system embedded with the all-fiber variable optical delay line showed the axial resolution of 100 μm and the dynamic range of 50 dB. The implemented system was used for the imaging of a biomedical sample, which proves the utility of the proposed delay element as a promising alternative of optical delay line.
Keywordsall-fiber optical delay line amplification factor dispersion compensation optical coherence tomography variable optical delay chirped fiber Bragg grating
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Gelikonov VM., Sergeev AM., Gelikonov GV., Feldchtein FI., Gladkova ND., Ioannovich J., Fragia K., Pirza T. 1996 Conference on Lasers and Electro-Optics,1996.Google Scholar
- Kashyap, R. 1999Fiber Bragg GratingsAcademic PressNew York311Google Scholar
- Lee, B.H., Eom, T.-J., Choi, E., Mudhana, G., Lee, C. 2003Opt. Rev.10572Google Scholar
- Pan, Y., Welzel, J., Bringruber, R., Engelhardt, R. 1996IEEE J. Sel. Top. Quant. Electron.21029Google Scholar
- Shu, X., Sugden, K., Rhead, P., Mitchell, J., Felmeri, I., Lloyd, G., Byron, K., Huang, Z., Khrushchev, I., Bennion, I. 2003IEEE Photon Technol. Lett.151111Google Scholar
- Weber, H.P. 1967J. Appl. Phys382231Google Scholar