Dispersion Properties of Photonic Crystal Fiber: Comparison by Scalar and Fully Vectorial Effective Index Methods
- 290 Downloads
The development of analysis and simulation of propagation characteristics of photonic crystal fiber (PCF) using scalar and fully vectorial effective index methods are described. As a result, we report how the fundamental space filling mode, guided mode and dispersion of the PCF depends on its structural parameters like its normalized air hole spacing, center-to-center spacing of the air holes in the photonic crystal or pitch and radius of the unit cell. Normalized frequency parameter Veff as a function of normalized wavelength for various relative air hole sizes is obtained to estimate the dispersion characteristics of PCF. It is observed that wavelength of zero dispersion, ultraflattened dispersion response and high negative dispersion remarkably differ from two different effective index methods.
Keywordsdispersion fully vectorial effective index method (FVEIM) photonic crystal Fibers (PCF) scalar effective index method (SEIM) space filling modes (SFM) zero dispersion wavelength (ZDW)
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Birks, T.A., Knight, J.C., Russell, P.St.J. 1997Endlessly single-mode photonic crystal fiberOpt. Lett.22961Google Scholar
- Ferrando, A., Silvestre, E., Miret, J.J., Andres, P., Andres, M.V. 1999Full-vector analysis of a realistic photonic crystal fiberOpt. Lett.24276Google Scholar
- Ferrando, A., Silvestre, E., Miret, J.J., Andres, P. 2000Vector description of higher order modes in photonic crystal fibersJ. Opt. Soc. Am. A171333Google Scholar
- Johnson, S.G., Joannopoulos, J.D. 2001Block-iterative frequency-domain methods for Maxwell’s equations in a plane wave basisOptic Express.8173Google Scholar
- Knight, J.C., Birks, T.A., Russell, P.St.J., Sandro, J.P. 1998Properties of photonic crystal fiber and the effective index modelJ. Opt. Soc. Am. A15748Google Scholar
- Okamoto, K., Fiber optics in Fundamentals of Optical Waveguides, Academic press, USA, p. 54, 2000Google Scholar
- Varshney, S.K., Singh, M.P., Sinha, R.K. 2003Propagation characteristics of photonic crystal fibersJ. Opt. Commun.24856Google Scholar
- White, T.P., McPhedran, R.C., Sterke, C.M., Botten, L.C., Steel, M.J. 2001Confinement losses in microstructured optical fibersOpt. Lett.261660Google Scholar
- Zhu, Z., Brown, T.G. 2002Full-vectorial finite-difference analysis of micro structured optical fibersOptic Express10853Google Scholar