Design analysis of all-optical devices using second harmonic generation into a region with periodically modulated optical property
- 21 Downloads
We investigate the nonlinear optical interaction through a periodic waveguide structure consisting of two alternating segments with different linear and nonlinear optical properties. A coupled equation system has been used to calculate the intensity of fundamental and second harmonic waves and the phase shift of the fundamental. The model has been experimentally tested with good results, but the effect of the phase shift has not been considered. Comparison with the quasi-phase match (QPM) technique has been presented. The novel features introduced by alternating segments with different linear and nonlinear optical properties have been discussed. The model shows a more flexible approach, which can be used in designing optical components based on coherent nonlinear interaction. Applications are straightforward for frequency doubler and all-optical switch.
Keywordsnonlinear phase shift periodic modulation second harmonic generation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Assanto, G., K. Gallo and C. Conti, In: Advanced photonics with second-order optically nonlinear processes, Plane and guided wave effects and devices via quadratic cascading, eds. A.D. Birdman, L. Pavlov and S. Tanev. Kluwer Academic Publisher, 1998.Google Scholar
- Canva, M., G.I. Stegeman in Polymers for Photonics Application I, ed. K.S. Lee. Springer, 2001.Google Scholar
- Chen, B., Xu, C.Q., Zhou, B., Tang, X.H. 2002IEEE J. Sel. Top Quantum Electr.8675Google Scholar
- Chiu, Y., Gopalan, U., Kawas, M.J., Schleisinger, T.E., Stancil, D.D., Risk, W.P. 1999J. Lightwave Technol.17462Google Scholar
- Fujimura, M., Kodama, T., Suhara, T., Nishihara, H. 2000IEEE Phot. Tech. Lett.121513Google Scholar
- Miller, G.D., Batchke, R.G., Tulloch, W.M., Weise, D.K., Fejer, M.M., Beyer, R.L. 1997Opt. Lett.221834Google Scholar
- Pelinovsky, D., Sears, J., Brzozowski, L., Sargent, E.H. 2002J. Opt Soc. Am B.1943Google Scholar
- Xu, C.Q., Okayama, H., Kawahara, M. 1995IEEE J. Quantum Electr.31981Google Scholar