Analysis of ultra-small photonic large scale integrated circuits
A detailed study of a platform of ultra-small photonic large-scale integrated circuits was conducted. Bandgap structure calculations of silicon-on-insulator (SOI) based photonic crystals have been investigated. The photonic crystal consists of dielectric cylinders in air. Using the band structure calculations we obtained design parameters for the proposed structures. The coupling between the photonic crystal and a waveguide fabricated from SOI system has been analysed. It is shown that the optical coupling is improved by interfacing different types of spot-size converters (SSCs) between the SOI waveguide and the photonic crystal. Also, the possibility and limitations of silicon doped germanium and SOI photonic crystals to analyse the light guiding in the third dimension is discussed.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Benisty, H., C. Weisbuch, D. Labilloy, M. Rattier, C.J.M. Smith, T.F. Krauss, M. De La Rue. Richard, R. Houdre´, U. Oesterle, C. Jouanin and D. Cassagne. J. Lightwave Technol. 17, 1999.Google Scholar
- Berenger, W.P. Comput. Phys. 114 185, 1994.Google Scholar
- Haung, W.P., S. Chu, A. Gross and K. Chaudhhuri. IEEE Photon. Technol. Lett. 3 524, 1991.Google Scholar
- Cheng, C.C. and A. Scherer. J. Vac. Sci. Technol. B. 13, 1995.Google Scholar
- D'Urso, B., O. Painter, J. O'Brian, T. Tombrello, A. Yariv and A. Scherer. J. Opt. Soc. Am. B. 15, 1998.Google Scholar
- John, S. and R. Rangarajan. Phys. Rev. B. 38, 1988.Google Scholar
- Johnson, S.G. and S. Fan. Phys. Rev. B. 60, 1999.Google Scholar
- Leung, K.M. and Y.F. Liu. Phys. Rev B. 41, 1990.Google Scholar
- Meade, R.D., A.M. Rappe, K.D. Brommer and J.D. Joannopolos. J. Opt. Soc. Am. B1. 10, 1993.Google Scholar
- Villeneuve. P.R., S. Fan and S.G. Johnson. Proc. Ins. Elec. Eng. Optoelectron. 145, 1998.Google Scholar
- Yablonovitch, E. Phys. Rev. Lett. 58 2059, 1987.Google Scholar
- Yee, K.S. IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat. 1 301, 1966.Google Scholar