Shape optimal design of materially nonlinear arch dams including dam-water-foundation rock interaction using an improved PSO algorithm
- 304 Downloads
An efficient optimization procedure is proposed to find the optimal shape of arch dams including dam-water-foundation rock interaction subject to earthquake. The arch dam is treated as a three-dimensional structure involving the material nonlinearity effects. For this purpose, the nonlinear behavior of the dam concrete is idealized as an elasto-plastic material using the Drucker-Prager model. In order to reduce the computational cost of optimization process, a wavelet back propagation (WBP) neural network is designed to approximate the dam response instead of directly evaluating it by a time-consuming finite element analysis (FEA). An improved particle swarm optimization (IPSO) is also presented. In test example, the computational merits of the proposed methodology for optimizing an existing arch dam are demonstrated.
KeywordsConcrete arch dam Earthquake loading Nonlinear effects Approximation concept Improved particle swarm optimization
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- ANSYS Inc. Theory Reference (2006) Release 10.0 Documentation for ANSYS, ANSYS Inc Google Scholar
- Bathe KJ (1996) Finite element procedures. Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs Google Scholar
- Chen WF (1982) Plasticity in reinforced concrete. McGraw-Hill, New York Google Scholar
- Fok KL, Chopra AK (1985) Earthquake analysis and response of concrete arch dams. Report No. UCB/EERC 85/07, Earthquake Engineering Research Center, University of California, Berkeley Google Scholar
- PEER: Pacific Earthquake Engineering Research Center (2009) Available from: http://peer.berkeley.edu/smcat/search.html
- Salajegheh E, Salajegheh J, Seyedpoor SM, Khatibinia M (2009) Optimal design of geometrically nonlinear space trusses using adaptive neuro-fuzzy inference system. Sci Iran 16(5):403–414 Google Scholar
- Schroeder EA, Marcus MS (1975) Finite element solution of fluid-structure interaction problems. Presented at 46th shock and vibration symposium, San Diego, CA Google Scholar
- Sun L, Zhang W, Xie N (2007) Multi-objective optimization for shape design of arch dams. In: Computational methods in engineering and science, part 9: Structural optimization. Springer Berlin. Available from: http://www.springerlink.com/content/h4231776521128t2/ Google Scholar
- USBR United State Department of Interior Bureau of Reclamation (1977) Design criteria for concrete arch and gravity dams. US Government Printing Office, Washington Google Scholar
- Varshney RS (1982) Concrete dams. Oxford IBH, New Delhi Google Scholar
- William KJ, Warnke ED (1975) Constitutive model for the triaxial behavior of concrete. In: Proceedings of international association for bridge and structural engineering, vol 19, ISMES, Bergamo, p 174 Google Scholar