Effective reformulations of the truss topology design problem
- 137 Downloads
We present a new formulation of the truss topology problem that results in unique design and unique displacements of the optimal truss. This is reached by adding an upper level to the original optimization problem and formulating the new problem as an MPCC (Mathematical Program with Complementarity Constraints). We derive optimality conditions for this problem and present several techniques for its numerical solution. Finally, we compare two of these techniques on a series of numerical examples.
KeywordsTruss topology design Nonlinear programming Mathematical programs with equilibrium constraints
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Anitescu M, (2000) On solving mathematical programs with complementarity constraints as nonlinear programs. Preprint ANL/MCS-P864-1200, Argonne National Laboratory, Argonne, IL. To appear in SIAM J. OptimizationGoogle Scholar
- Ben-Tal A, Nemirovski A (2001) Lectures on Modern Convex Optimization. MPS-SIAM Series on Optimization. SIAM PhiladelphiaGoogle Scholar
- Bendsøe M, Sigmund O (2002) Topology optimization. theory, methods and applications. Springer-Verlag, HeidelbergGoogle Scholar
- Benson H, Shanno D, Vanderbei R (2002) Interior point methods for nonconvex nonlinear programming: Complementarity comstraints. Technical Report ORFE-02-02, Operations Research and Financial Engineering, Princeton UniversityGoogle Scholar
- Dorn W, Gomory R, Greenberg M (1964) Automatic Design of Optimal Structures. J. de Mechanique 3:25–52Google Scholar
- Fletcher R, Leyffer S, Ralph D, Scholtes S (2002) Local convergence of SQP methods for Mathematical Programs with Equilibrium Constraints. Report NA\209, University of DundeeGoogle Scholar
- Kočvara M, Zibulevsky M, Zowe J (1998) Mechanical design problems with unilateral contact. M2AN Mathematical Modelling and Numerical Analysis 32:255–282Google Scholar
- KoČvara M (2000) On the modelling and solving of the truss design problem with global stability constraints. Struct. Multidisc. Optimization 23(3):189–203Google Scholar
- Murtagh BA, Saunders MA (1998) MINOS 5.5 User’s Guide. Report SOL 83-20R, Dept of operations research, Stanford UniversityGoogle Scholar
- Rockafellar RT, Wets RJB (1998) Variational Analysis. Springer, Berlin-HeidelbergGoogle Scholar
- Wächter A, Biegler LT (2004) On the implementation of a primal-dual interior point filter line search algorithm for large-scale nonlinear programming. Research report, IBM T. J. Watson Research Center, Yorktown, USA. To appear in Mathematical ProgrammingGoogle Scholar