Nonlinear analysis of a 2-DOF piecewise linear aeroelastic system
We study the dynamics of a two- degree-of-freedom (pitch and plunge) aeroelastic system where the aerodynamic forces are modeled as a piecewise linear function of the effective angle of attack. Stability and bifurcations of equilibria are analyzed. We find border collision and rapid bifurcations. Bifurcation diagrams of the system were calculated utilizing MATCONT and Mathematica. Chaotic behavior with intermittent switches about the two nontrivial equilibria was also observed.
KeywordsAeroelasticity Piecewise linear system Limit cycle oscillation Bifurcation Hybrid system Chaos
The authors are grateful to the reviewers whose suggestions helped to improve the paper. This research was partially supported by OTKA-84060. This research was partially supported by the Hungarian Scientific Research Fund OTKA-84060.
- 2.Alighanbari, H., Hashemi, S.: Derivation of odes and bifurcation analysis of a two-dof airfoil subjected to unsteady incompressible flow. Int. J. Aerosp. Eng. (2009)Google Scholar
- 4.Antali, M., Stepan, G.: Discontinuity-induced bifurcations of a dual-point contact ball. Nonlinear Dyn. pp. 1–18 (2015)Google Scholar
- 8.Elgohary, T.: Nonlinear Analysis of a Two DOF Piecewise Linear Aeroelastic System. Master’s thesis, Texas A&M University (2010)Google Scholar
- 11.Gilliatt, H.C., Strganac, T.W., Kurdila, A.J.: Nonlinear aeroelastic response of an airfoil. In: Proceedings of the 35th Aerospace Sciences Meeting and Exhibit. AIAA 97-459, Reno, NV (1997)Google Scholar
- 25.O’Neil, T., Gilliatt, H.C., Strganac, T.W.: Investigations of aeroelastic response for a system with continuous structural nonlinearities. In: Proceedings of the 37th Structures, Structural Dynamics and Materials Conference. AIAA 96-1390, Salt Lake City, UT (1996)Google Scholar
- 33.Sheldahl, R.E., Klimas, P.C.: Aerodynamic characteristics of seven symmetrical airfoil sections through 180-degree angle of attack for use in aerodynamic analysis of vertical axis wind turbines. Tech. rep., Sandia National Laboratories. SAND80-2114 (1981)Google Scholar
- 37.Ueda, T., Dowell, E.H.: Flutter analysis using nonlinear aerodynamic forces. J. Aircr. 21, 101–109 (1984)Google Scholar
- 38.Vieth, E.: Fitting piecewise linear regression functions to biological responses. J. Appl. Physiol. 67(1), 390–396 (1989)Google Scholar