Nonlinear finite element analysis for vibrations of double-walled carbon nanotubes
- 369 Downloads
The large-amplitude free vibration analysis of double-walled carbon nanotubes embedded in an elastic medium is investigated by means of a finite element formulation. A double-beam model is utilized in which the governing equations of layers are coupled with each other via the van der Waals interlayer forces. Von-Karman type nonlinear strain-displacement relationships are employed where the ends of the nanotube are constrained to move axially. The amplitude-frequency response curves for large-amplitude free vibrations of single-walled and double-walled carbon nanotubes with arbitrary boundary conditions are graphically illustrated. The effects of material constant of the surrounding elastic medium and the geometric parameters on the vibration characteristics are investigated. For a double-walled carbon nanotube with different boundary conditions between inner and outer tubes, the nonlinear frequencies are obtained apparently for the first time. Comparison of the results with those from the open literature is made for the amplitude-frequency curves where possible. This comparison illustrates that the present scheme yields very accurate results in predicting the nonlinear frequencies.
KeywordsLarge-amplitude vibration Carbon nanotubes Frequency response Boundary conditions
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 8.Yang, W., Ma, X.L., Wang, H.T., Hong, W.: The advancement of nanomechanics (continued). Adv. Mech. 33(2), 175–185 (2003) Google Scholar
- 10.Ru, C.Q.: Elastic models for carbon nanotubes. In: Encyclopedia of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, vol. X, pp. 1–14 (2003) Google Scholar
- 11.Yang, W., Ma, X.L., Wang, H.T., Hong, W.: The advancement of nanomechanics (continued). Adv. Mech. 33(2), 175–185 (2003) Google Scholar
- 12.Iilima, S., Brabec, C., Maiti, A., Bernholc, J.: Structural flexibility of carbon nanotube. Chem. Phys. 104, 2089 (1996) Google Scholar
- 15.Yakobson, B.I., Brabec, C.J., Bernholc, J.: Nanomechanics of carbon tubes: instabilities beyond linear response. Phys. Lett. A 76, 14 (2000) Google Scholar
- 26.Yoon, J., Ru, C.Q., Mioduchowski, A.: Non-coaxial resonance of an isolated multiwall carbon nanotube. Phys. Rev. B 66, 233402-14 (2002) Google Scholar
- 38.Xu, K.Y., Aifantis, E.C., Yan, Y.H.: Vibrations of double-walled carbon nanotubes with different boundary conditions between inner and outer tubes. ASME J. Appl. Mech. 75, 021013-9 (2008) Google Scholar
- 39.Lanir, Y., Fung, Y.C.B.: Fiber composite columns under compressions. J. Compos. Mater. 6, 387–401 (1972) Google Scholar
- 40.Hahn, H.T., Williams, J.G.: Compression failure mechanisms in unidirectional composites. Compos. Mater.-Test. Des. 7, 115–139 (1984) Google Scholar