Dynamics of body separation—analytical procedure
In this paper, an analytical procedure for the determination of the dynamic parameters of a remainder body after mass separation is developed. The method is based on the general principles of momentum and angular momentum of a body and system of bodies. The kinetic energy of motion of the whole body and also of the separated and remainder body is considered. The derivatives of kinetic energies with respect to the generalized velocity determine the velocity and angular velocity of the remainder body. To confirm the proposed procedure, the results are compared with those obtained using the method of momenta and angular momenta. In the paper, the theorem about increase of kinetic energies of the separated and remainder bodies for perfectly plastic separation is proved. The increase of the kinetic energies correspond to the relative velocities and angular velocities of the separated and remainder bodies. As an example, the mass separation from a pendulum is considered. The kinematic properties of the remainder pendulum are obtained using the analytic procedure. The results are in agreement with those obtained by applying the basic principles of Newton’s mechanics.
KeywordsMass separation Analytical dynamics
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Meshchersky, I.V.: Dinamika tochki peremennoj massji. Magistarskaja disertacija, Petersburgski Universitet, Petersburg (1897) Google Scholar
- 3.Cornelisse, J.W., Schoyer, H.F.R., Wakker, K.F.: Rocket Propulsion and Spaceflight Dynamics. Pitman, London (1979) Google Scholar
- 4.Tran, T., Eke, F.O.: Effects of internal mass flow on the attitude dynamics of variable mass systems. Adv. Astronaut. Sci. 119 (Issue Suppl.), 1297–1316 (2005) Google Scholar
- 8.Djerassi, S.: An algorithm for simulation of motions of ‘variable mass’ systems. Adv. Astronaut. Sci. 99(1), 461–474 (1998) Google Scholar
- 12.Kayuk, Ya.F., Tilavov, A.: Motion of an elastically suspended solid of variable mass. Prikl. Mekh. 23(15), 102–109 (1987) Google Scholar
- 17.Eke, F.O., Mao, T.C.: On the dynamics of variable mass systems. The International J. Mech. Eng. Educ. 30(2) (2002) Google Scholar
- 25.Meshchersky, I.V.: Mehanika tel peremennoj massji. Gos. Izd. Teh. Teor. Lit., Moscow (1952) Google Scholar
- 29.Starzhinskii, V.M.: An Advanced Course of Theoretical Mechanics. Mir Publishers, Moscow (1982) Google Scholar