Another form of equations of motion for constrained multibody systems
- 113 Downloads
This paper presents a new and simplified set of explicit equations of motion for constrained mechanical systems. The equations are applicable with both holonomic and nonholonomic systems and the constraints may, or may not, be ideal. It is shown that this set of equations is equivalent to governing equations developed earlier by others. The connection of these equations with Kane's equations is discussed. It is shown that the developed equations are directly applicable with controlled systems where the controlling forces and moments may be subject to constraints. Finally, a procedure is presented for determining which control force systems are equivalent. Examples are presented to demonstrate the advantages, features, and range of application of the equations.
KeywordsMultibody systems Constraints Computational efficiency Controlled systems
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Hamel, P.G.: Theoretiche Mechanik. Springer-Verlag, Berlin (1949)Google Scholar
- 5.Neimark, J.I., Fufaev, N.A.: Dynamics of Nonholonomic Systems. American Mathematical Society, Providence, RI (1967)Google Scholar
- 7.Pars, L.A.: A Treatise on Analytical Dynamics. Oxbow, Woodridge, CT (1979)Google Scholar
- 13.Kane, T.R., Levinson, D.A.: Dynamics: Theory and Applications. McGraw-Hill, New York (1985)Google Scholar
- 14.Singh, R.P., Likins, P.W.: Singular value decomposition for constrained dynamical systems. J. Appl. Mech. 52, 899–904 (1984)Google Scholar
- 17.Huston, R.L.: Multibody Dynamics. Butterworth-Heineman, Stoneham, MA (1990)Google Scholar
- 26.Walton, W.C., Jr., Steeves, E.C.: A new matrix theorem and its application for establishing independent coordinates for complex dynamical systems with constraints. NASA Technical Report TR-326 (1969)Google Scholar
- 32.Huston, R.L., Kamman, J.W., King, T.P.: UCIN-DYNOCOMBS — Software for the dynamic analysis of constrained multibody systems. In: Multibody Systems Handbook, Schielen, W. (ed.), pp. 103–111. Springer-Verlag, Berlin (1990)Google Scholar