An analytical prediction of sliding motions along discontinuous boundary in non-smooth dynamical systems
This paper presents a method for the analytical prediction of sliding motions along discontinuous boundaries in non-smooth dynamical systems. The methodology is demonstrated through investigation of a periodically forced linear oscillator with dry friction. The switching conditions for sliding motions in non-smooth dynamical systems are given. The generic mappings for the friction-induced oscillator are introduced. From the generic mappings, the corresponding criteria for the sliding motions are presented through the force product conditions. The analytical prediction of the onset and vanishing of the sliding motions is illustrated. Finally, numerical simulations of sliding motions are carried out to verify the analytical prediction. This analytical prediction provides an accurate prediction of sliding motions in non-smooth dynamical systems. The switching conditions developed in this paper are expressed by the total force of the oscillator, and the nonlinearity and linearity of the spring and viscous damping forces in the oscillator cannot change such switching conditions. Therefore, the achieved force criteria can be applied to the other dynamical systems with nonlinear friction forces processing a C 0-discontinuity.
KeywordsSliding motion Force product Non-smooth dynamical systems Sliding fragmentation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Filippov, A.F.: Differential equations with discontinuous right-hand side. Am. Math. Soc. Trans. Ser. 42(2), 199–231 (1964)Google Scholar
- 2.Filippov, A.F.: Differential Equations with Discontinuous Righthand Sides. Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht (1988)Google Scholar
- 3.Aubin, J.P., Cellina, A.: Differential Inclusions. Springer-Verlag, Berlin (1984)Google Scholar
- 4.Aubin, J.P., Frankowska, H.: Set-Valued Analysis. Birkhauser, Boston (1989)Google Scholar
- 6.Den Hartog, J.P.: Forced vibrations with Coulomb and viscous damping. Trans. Am. Soc. Mech. Eng. 53, 107–115 (1931)Google Scholar
- 24.Luo, A.C.J., Gegg, B.C.: On the mechanism of stick and non-stick periodic motion in a forced oscillator including dry-friction. In: Proceedings of the ASME International Mechanical Engineering Congress & Exposition, Anaheim, CA, November 13–19 IMECE2004-59218 (2004)Google Scholar
- 25.Luo, A.C.J., Gegg, B.C.: Stick and non-stick periodic motions in a periodically forced, linear oscillator with dry friction. J. Sound Vib. 291, 132–168 (2006)Google Scholar
- 26.Luo, A.C.J., Gegg, B.C.: Grazing phenomena in a periodically forced, linear oscillator with dry friction. Commun. Nonlinear Sci. Numer. Simulat. 11, 711–802 (2006)Google Scholar