Stability analysis for milling process
In this article, the stability of a milling process is studied by using a semi-discretization method. The model of the workpiece–tool system includes loss-of-contact effects between the workpiece and the tool and time-delay effects associated with the chip-thickness variation. In addition, feed-rate effects are also considered. The governing system of equations is a non-autonomous, delay-differential system with time-periodic coefficients. Stability of periodic orbits of this system is studied to predict the onset of chatter and numerical evidence is provided for period-doubling bifurcations and secondary Hopf bifurcations. Stability charts generated using the semi-discretization method are found to compare well with the corresponding results obtained through time-domain simulations.
KeywordsStability Milling process Time delay Chatter
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Tlusty, J., Polacek, M.: The stability of the machine tool against self-excited vibration in machining. In: Proceedings of the Conference on International Research in Production Engineering. Pittsburgh, PA, pp. 465–474 (1963)Google Scholar
- 3.Tobias, S.A.: Machine–Tool Vibration. Wiley, New York (1965)Google Scholar
- 4.Opitz, H., Dregger, E.U., Roese, H.: Improvement of the dynamic stability of the milling process by irregular tooth pitch. In: Proceedings of the 7th International MTDR Conference. Pergamon Press, New York (1966)Google Scholar
- 5.Sridhar, R., Hohn, R.E., Long, G.W.: A stability algorithm for the general milling process. ASME J. Eng. Ind. 90, 330–334 (1968)Google Scholar
- 6.Hanna, N.H., Tobias, S.A.: A theory of nonlinear regenerative chatter. ASME J. Eng. Ind. 96, 247–255 (1974)Google Scholar
- 7.Minis, I., Yanushevsky, R.: A new theoretical approach for the prediction of machine tool chatter in milling. ASME J. Eng. Ind. 115, 1–8 (1993)Google Scholar
- 9.Balachandran, B.: Nonlinear dynamics of milling processes. Philos. Trans. R. Soc. Lond. A 359, 793–819 (2001)Google Scholar
- 11.Zhao, M.X., Balachandran, B.: Dynamics and stability of milling process. Int. J. Solids Struct. 38(10–13), 2233–2248 (2001)Google Scholar
- 12.Balachandran, B., Gilsinn, D.: Nonlinear oscillations of milling. Math. Comput. Model. Dyn. Syst. 11, 273–290 (2005)Google Scholar
- 14.Insperger, T., Stépán, G.: Semi-discretization of delayed dynamical systems. In: Proceedings of DETC’01 ASME 2001 Design Engineering Technical Conference and Computers and Information in Engineering Conference. Pittsburgh, PA, September 9–12 (2001), CD-ROM, DETC2001/VIB-21446Google Scholar