Nonlinear normal modes in multi-mode models of an inertially coupled elastic structure
- 270 Downloads
Nonlinear normal modes for elastic structures have been studied extensively in the literature. Most studies have been limited to small nonlinear motions and to structures with geometric nonlinearities. This work investigates the nonlinear normal modes in elastic structures that contain essential inertial nonlinearities. For such structures, based on the works of Crespo da Silva and Meirovitch, a general methodology is developed for obtaining multi-degree-of-freedom discretized models for structures in planar motion. The motion of each substructure is represented by a finite number of substructure admissible functions in a way that the geometric compatibility conditions are automatically assured. The multi degree-of-freedom reduced-order models capture the essential dynamics of the system and also retain explicit dependence on important physical parameters such that parametric studies can be conducted. The specific structure considered is a 3-beam elastic structure with a tip mass. Internal resonance conditions between different linear modes of the structure are identified. For the case of 1:2 internal resonance between two global modes of the structure, a two-mode nonlinear model is then developed and nonlinear normal modes for the structure are studied by the method of multiple time scales as well as by a numerical shooting technique. Bifurcations in the nonlinear normal modes are shown to arise as a function of the internal mistuning that represents variations in the tip mass in the structure. The results of the two techniques are also compared.
KeywordsNonlinear elastic structures Inertial nonlinearities Internal resonance Substructure synthesis Method of multiple scales Bifurcations in normal modes
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Vakakis, A.F., Manevitch, L.I., Mikhlin, Y.V., Pilipchuk, V.N., Zevin, A.A.: Normal Modes and Localization in Nonlinear Systems. Wiley, New York (1996)Google Scholar
- 6.Nayfeh, A.H. Nayfeh, S.A.: On nonlinear modes of continuous systems. ASME J. Vib. Acoust. 116, 129–136 (1994)Google Scholar
- 7.Nayfeh, A.H., Nayfeh, S.A.: Nonlinear normal modes of continuous system with quadratic nonlinearities. ASME J. Vib. Acoust. 117, 199–205 (1995)Google Scholar
- 8.Nayfeh, A.H.: Nonlinear Interactions. Wiley, New York (2000)Google Scholar
- 12.Nayfeh, A.H., Mook, D.T.: Nonlinear Oscillations. Wiley, New York (1979)Google Scholar
- 23.Meirovitch, L.: Principles and Techniques of Vibrations. McGraw Hill, New York (1997)Google Scholar