Application of a feature-based approach to debris flow detection by numerical simulation
- 444 Downloads
A debris flow is a serious natural disaster which can occur anywhere whether in a valley or on a mountain slope, destroying everything it passes through. Debris flows can occur suddenly and cause residents in the path to suffer casualties and property loss. An early warning system is necessary to reduce the damage in order to protect human life and personal property. However, most debris flow detection systems, like wireless sensors, satellite images and radar, are not suitable for general public use. Vision surveillance systems are generally erected in Taiwan as public devices for security. Therefore, we propose a novel debris early warning system that uses a computer vision technique and build a simulation environment to prove the feasibility.
KeywordsDebris flow Feature based Computer vision
The authors would like to thank the National Science Council of the Republic of China, Taiwan, for their financial support of this research under Contract Nos. NSC100-2218-E-008-007, 100-2221-E-022-013-MY2 and 100-2628-E-022-002-MY2.
- Bay H, Tuytelaars T, & Van Gool L (2006) Surf: speeded up robust features. European Conference on computer vision, 404–417Google Scholar
- Chen KW, Lin CW, Chen MYY, Hung YP (2010) e-Fovea: a multi-resolution approach with steerable focus to large-scale and high-resolution monitoring. Paper presented at the Proceedings of the international conference on Multimedia, Firenze, ItalyGoogle Scholar
- Cho CY, Chou PH, Chung YC, King CT, Tsai MJ, Lee BJ, & Chou TY (2008) Wireless Sensor Networks for Debris Flow Observation. Paper presented at the Sensor, Mesh and Ad Hoc Communications and Networks, 2008. SECON ‘08. 5th Annual IEEE Communications Society Conference onGoogle Scholar
- Lee HC, Cho CY, King CT, Fang YM, & Lee BJ (2009) Design and implementation of non-autonomous mobile wireless sensor for debris flow monitoring. Paper presented at the Mobile Adhoc and Sensor Systems, 2009. MASS ‘09. IEEE 6th International Conference onGoogle Scholar
- Soil and Water Conservation Bureau, C. o. A., Executive Yuan. Debris Flow disaster prevention information. available in http://246.swcb.gov.tw/default-1.asp
- Tang L, Hu DY, Li XJ, & Lian J (2010) Change detection of landslides and debris in south Taiwan after “Morakot” typhoon based on HJ-1-B Satellite images. Paper presented at the Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium (IGARSS), 2010 IEEE InternationalGoogle Scholar