Forewarning of sustainable utilization of regional water resources: a model based on BP neural network and set pair analysis
Early warning for sustainable utilization of regional water resources is an important control measure for regional water security management. To establish operable and quantitative forewarning model, in this paper, a new forewarning model for sustainable utilization of water resources based on BP neural network and set pair analysis (named BPSPA-FM for short) was established. In the proposed approach, the accelerating genetic algorithm–based fuzzy analytic hierarchy process was suggested to determine the weights of evaluation indexes, back-propagation neural network updating model was used to predict the values of the evaluation indexes, and the set pair analysis was used to determine the function values of relative membership in variable fuzzy set of the samples. BPSPA-FM was applied to early warning for sustainable utilization of regional water resources of Yuanyang Hani terrace in Yunnan Province of China. The results show that the states of sustainable utilization in this system were near the critical value between nonalarm and slight alarm from 1990 to 2000, the states of the system fell into slight alarm and were rapidly close to intermediate alarm from 2001 to 2004, and the states of the system were predicted to be near the critical value between slight alarm and intermediate alarm from 2005 to 2010. The main alarm indexes of the system were utilization ratio of water in agriculture, control ratio of surface water, per capita water supply, per unit area irrigation water and per capita water consumption. BPSPA-FM can take full advantage of the changing information of the evaluation indexes in adjacent periods and the relationship between the samples and the criterion grades. The results of BPSPA-FM are reasonable with high accuracy. BPSPA-FM is general and can be applied to early warning problems of different natural hazards systems such as drought disaster.
KeywordsWater security management Water resources sustainable utilization Forewarning model Fuzzy analytic hierarchy process Back-propagation neural network Set pair analysis Genetic algorithm
The authors would like to thank the support of the National Natural Science Foundation of China under the grant Nos. 51079037 and 71020107026, the CAS Strategic Priority Research Program Grant No. XDA05150600, the National Key Technologies R&D Program of China during the 11th Five-year Plan Period (No. 2008BAC38B04-03-04) and the Opening Foundation of Chengdu Institute of Plateau Meteorology, China Meteorological Administration (LPM2011002). We thank the two anonymous reviewers for helpful comments and suggestions on the earlier draft of our paper according to which we improved the content.
- Chang MQ, Huang Q (2006) Theories and methods of water resources security. China WaterPower Press, BeijingGoogle Scholar
- Chen SY (2005) Theories and methods of variable fuzzy sets in water resources and flood control system. Dalian University of Technology Press, DalianGoogle Scholar
- Chen SJ (2006) System evaluation, warning and controlling research on water security. China WaterPower Press, BeijingGoogle Scholar
- Jin JL, Wei YM (2008) Intelligent evaluation methods of complex system and application. Science Press, BeijingGoogle Scholar
- Jin JL, Wang WS, Hong TQ et al (2006) Theoretical basis of intelligent evaluation methods of watershed water security. J Hydraulic Eng 37(8):918–925Google Scholar
- Jin JL, Hong TQ, Wang WS (2007) Entropy and FAHP based fuzzy comprehensive evaluation model of water resources sustaining utilization. J Hydroelectr Eng 26(4):22–28Google Scholar
- Li FX, Xin Y, Chen WU (2000). Set pair analysis method of water quality eutrophication Assessment of Lakes. Chong Qing Environ Sci 22(6):10–11, 16Google Scholar
- Lv GH (2005) Evaluation on ecological security, warning and controlling research in arid land of western China. Xinjiang University, UrumqiGoogle Scholar
- Wen J (2006) Study on forecasting and warning system of the sustainable utilization of region water resources. Hohai University, NanjingGoogle Scholar
- Wen J, Jin JL, Wang L, et al (2006a) Theory framework of forewarning evaluation for regional water resources sustainable utilization. Water Conserv Sci Technol Econ 12(8):518–520,524Google Scholar
- Wen J, Li J, Jin JL (2006b) Forewarning model of regional water resources sustainable utilization based on combined weights and entropy principles. Water Res Power 24(3):6–10Google Scholar
- Zhao KQ (2000) Set pair analysis and its preliminary application. Hangzhou Science and Technology Press, HangzhouGoogle Scholar