Nitrite/Nitrate (NO x ) and Zinc Concentrations in Influenza-associated Encephalopathy in Children with Different Sequela
- 45 Downloads
NOx (NO2 and NO3) in CSF obtained from 22 patients with influenza-associated encephalopathy were higher than those of a control group. Within the different prognosis, there were no significant differences in NOx levels. By analyzing the serum obtained from patients infected with influenza, including encephalopathy, with others, the serum zinc levels did show marked differences between them. Four out of eleven patients with influenza-associated encephalopathy showed low zinc levels below the normal range. However, there were no significant differences in the zinc levels between the group with sequela and without sequela. These results indicate that the increase of NOx levels detected in influenza-associated encephalopathy relates to the low zinc levels, and both low molecules might play an important role for the cause of encephalopathy.
KeywordsInfluenza-associated encephalopathy zinc NOx children seizure
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Morishima, T., Togashi, T., Yokota, S. 2002Encephalitis and encephalopathy associated with influenza epidemic in JapanClin. Inf. Dis35512517Google Scholar
- 5.Ying, W., Anderson, C. M., Chen, Y., Stein, B. A., Fahlman, C. S., Copin, J. C., Chan, P. H., Swanson, R. A. 2000Differing effects of copper, zinc superoxide dismutase overexpression on neurotoxicity elicited by nitric oxide, reactive oxygen species, and excitotoxinsJ. Cereb. Blood Flow Metab20359368PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 8.Matsuoka, H., Watanabe, Y., Isshiki, A. 1999Increased production of nitric oxide metabolites in the hippocampus under isoflurane anesthesia in ratsEur. J. Anasthesiol16216224Google Scholar
- 9.Davis, K. L., Martin, E., Turko, I. V. 2001Novel effects of nitric oxideAnnu. Rev. Pharmacol41203236Google Scholar
- 11.No author listed. 1983. Zinc and benign postnatal seizures. Nutr. Rev. 41:211–213.Google Scholar
- 12.Mollah, M. A., Dey, P. R., Tarafdar, S. A., Akhter, S., Ahmed, S., Hassen, T., Begun, N. A., Nahar, N. 2002Zinc in CSF of patients with febrile convulsionInd. J. Pediatr69859861Google Scholar