Awards, lectures, and fellowships sponsored by the AANS/CNS Section on Tumors
- 120 Downloads
A major goal of the Section on Tumors of the American Association of Neurological Surgery (AANS) and Congress of Neurological Surgeons (CNS) since it was founded in 1984 has been to foster both education and research in the field of brain tumor treatment and development. In support of this goal, the Section sponsors a number of awards, named lectures, and fellowships at the annual meetings of the AANS and CNS. In this article, we describe the awards given by the AANS/CNS Section on Tumors since its foundation, the recipients of the awards, and their philanthropic donors. The subsequent history of awardees and their work is briefly examined. Specifically for the Preuss and Mahaley Awards, this article also examines the rates of publication among the award-winning abstracts and achievement of grant funding by awardees.
KeywordsAmerican Association for Neurological Surgeons Congress of Neurological Surgeons Awards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- 5.Sanai N, Nguyen T, Ihrie RA, Mirzadeh Z, Tsai HH, Wong M, Gupta N, Berger MS, Huang E, Garcia-Verdugo JM, Rowitch DH, Alvarez-Buylla A (2011) Corridors of migrating neurons in the human brain and their decline during infancy. Nature 478:382–386. doi: 10.1038/nature10487 PubMedCrossRefPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 6.Cahill DP, Levine KK, Betensky RA, Codd PJ, Romany CA, Reavie LB, Batchelor TT, Futreal PA, Stratton MR, Curry WT, Iafrate AJ, Louis DN (2007) Loss of the mismatch repair protein MSH6 in human glioblastomas is associated with tumor progression during temozolomide treatment. Clin Cancer Res 13:2038–2045. doi: 10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-06-2149 PubMedCrossRefPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 7.Chandler WF (1994) Joint Section on Tumors Executive Comittee Minutes, Vancouver, British Columbia, October 4, 1993. Joint Section on Tumors Newsletter March 1994: 1–2Google Scholar
- 8.Black PM (1995) Chairman’s address. Joint Section on Tumors Newsletter Spring, 1Google Scholar
- 9.Barker FG, 2nd, Linskey ME (2004) History of the AANS/CNS joint section on tumors and preface to the 20th anniversary Journal of Neuro-Oncology Special Issue. J Neurooncol 69: 1–18Google Scholar