Differential diagnosis by unenhanced FLAIR T2-weighted magnetic resonance images between solitary high grade gliomas and cerebral metastases appearing as contrast-enhancing cortico-subcortical lesions
The aim was to assess the value of unenhanced fluid-attenuated inversion recovery T2-weighted sequences (FLAIR-T2) in the differential diagnosis between solitary high-grade gliomas (HGG) and cerebral metastases (CM) appearing as contrast-enhancing cortico-subcortical lesions of the brain. In 69 patients with a contrast-enhancing cortico-subcortical brain lesion (43 HGG, and 26 CM), unenhanced FLAIR-T2 and gadolinium-enhanced FLAIR T1-weighted (Gd-FLAIR-T1) axial images have been reviewed for the involvement of the cortex adjacent to the contrast-enhancing lesion. In 27 (62.79%) out of 43 HGG, and 3 (11.53%) out of 26 CM, the cortex adjacent to the contrast-enhancing lesion showed high signal intensity on unenhanced FLAIR-T2 without enhancement at Gd-FLAIR-T1. Fischer’s exact probability test was P = 0.0003 when applied to HGG versus CM categories, indicating a significant difference. The high signal intensity on unenhanced FLAIR-T2 without gadolinium-enhancement of the cortex adjacent to the enhancing lesion is more frequently associated with HGG than CM.
KeywordsCerebral metastases Fluid-attenuated inversion recovery Gadolinium-enhancement High-grade gliomas
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- 10.Cha S, Lupo JM, Chen MH, Lamborn KR, McDermott MW, Berger MS, Nelson SJ, Dillon WP (2007) Differentiation of glioblastoma multiforme and single brain metastasis by peak height and percentage of signal intensity recovery derived from dynamic susceptibility-weighted contrast-enhanced perfusion mr imaging. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 28:1078–1084PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 11.Young GS, Setayesh K (2009) Spin-eco echo-planar perfusion mr imaging in the differential diagnosis of solitary enhancing brain lesions: distinguishing solitary metastases from primary glioma. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 29:1805–2000Google Scholar
- 20.Aprile I, Guiducci A, Italiani M et al (2001) Caratterizzazione con RM delle pseudocisti necrotiche dei glioblastomi multiformi per mezzo delle sequenze FLAIR post contrasto. Risultati preliminari. Riv Neuroradiol 14(Sup. 3):15–18Google Scholar
- 27.Zhou ZR, Shen TZ, Chen XR, Peng WJ (2006) Diagnostic value of contrast-enhanced fluid-attenuated inversion-recovery MRI for intracranial tumors in comparison with post-contrast T1W spin-echo MRI. Chin Med J (Engl) 119:467–473Google Scholar
- 29.Aprile I, Giorgi C, Guiducci A et al (2008) Characterization of glioblastoma by contrast-enhanced Flair sequence. The Neuroradiol J 21:196–203Google Scholar
- 32.Kleihues P, Cavenee WK (2000) Pathology and genetics of tumours of the nervous system. IARC, LyonGoogle Scholar