Systemic Temozolomide Combined with Loco-regional Mitoxantrone in Treating Recurrent Glioblastoma
- 65 Downloads
Twenty-two recurrent GBM patients were enrolled for second tumor debulking with local positioning of a Rickam reservoir, in order to locally deliver chemotherapy with the aim of controlling local tumor recurrence. We designed a protocol using systemic temozolomide (150 mg/sqm days 1–5 every 28) in association with mitoxantrone, delivered through the reservoir (4 mg/day 1–5 every 28) positioned into the area of tumor exeresis. After re-operation a residual tumor mass no larger than 2 cm was identified in 18/22 patients. The patients were treated with monthly cycles of chemotherapy until evolution of the tumor, but in no case for more than 10 cycles. Responses were evaluated by MRI scans performed every 2 months and images assessed according to MacDonald’s criteria. Response rate: no complete responses (CR), 5 partial responses (PR), 13 stable disease (SD) and 4 progressive disease (PD) occurred. The median progression-free survival (PFS) and survival time (ST) of the whole group of treated patients was 7 and 11 months, respectively and more than a quarter of the patients survived over 18 months. During the study, the patients’ compliance was complete and no dropouts occurred. Hematological toxicity was mild and after repeated local injections only minor neurological side-effects occurred. Despite some bias in patients’ selection not excluded in this pilot study, results are interesting: the PFS was as long as the survival of recurrent GBM reported in the literature.
Keywordsloco-regional chemotherapy mitoxantrone recurrent glioblastoma Rickam reservoir temozolomide
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Kornblith, PL, Walker, M 1998Chemotherapy for malignant gliomasJ Neurosurg68117Google Scholar
- 3.Walker, MD, Green, SB, Byar, DP, Alexander, E,Jr, Batzdorf, U, Brooks, WH, Hunt, WE, McCarty, CS, Mahavley, MS,Jr, Mealey, J, Owens, G, Ransohoff, J, Robertson, JT 1980Randomized comparisons of radiotherapy and nitrosoureas for the treatment of malignant glioma after surgeryN Engl J Med30313231327PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 5.Yung, WK, Albright, RE, Olson, J, Fredericks, R, Fink, K, Prados, MD, Brada, M, Spence, A, Hohl, RJ, Shapiro, W, Glantz, M, Greenberg, H, Selker, RG, Vick, NA, Rampling, R, Friedman, H, Phillips, P, Bruner, J, Yue, N, Osoba, D, Zaknoen, S, Levin, VA 2000A phase II study of temozolomide vs. procarbazine in patients with glioblastoma multiforne at first relapseBr J Cancer83588593CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 7.Brada, M, Hoang-Xuan, K, Rampling, R, Dietrich, PY, Dirix, LY, MacDonald, D, Heimans, JJ, Zonnenberg, BA, Bravo-Marques, JM, Henriksson, R, Stupp, R, Yue, N, Bruner, J, Dugan, M, Rao, S, Zaknoen, S 2001Multicenter phase II trial of temozolomide in patients with glioblastoma multiforme at first relapseAnn Oncol12149150CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 8.McDonald, DR 2001Temozolomide for recurrent high-grade gliomaSemin Oncol4312Google Scholar
- 16.Tolcher, AW, Gerson, SL, Denis, L, Geyer, C, Hammond, LA, Patnaik, A, Goetz, AD, Schwartz, G, Edwards, T, Reyderman, L, Statkevich, P, Cutler, DL, Rowinsky, EK 2003Marked inactivation of O6-alkylguanine-DNA alkyltransferase activity with protracted temozolomide schedulesBr J Cancer8810041011CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 20.Gururangan, S, Cokgor, L, Rich, JN, Edwards, S, Affronti, ML, Quinn, JA, Herndon, JE,2nd, Provenzale, JM, McLendon, RE, Tourt-Uhlig, S, Sampson, JH, Stafford-Fox, V, Zaknoen, S, Early, M, Friedman, AH, Friedman, HS 2001Phase I study of Gliadel wafers plus temozolomide in adults with recurrent supratentorial high-grade gliomasNeuro-oncol3246250CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 24.Bissola L, Eoli M, Silvani A, Polio B, Bianchissi D, Manghi F, Boiardi A, Finocchiaro G: MGMT promoter hypermethylation is more frequent in secondary GBM and is independent from other prognostic factor. Proceedings of the American association for Cancer research 95. Annual meeting 2004. Orlando, FLGoogle Scholar
- 25.Kaplan, EL, Meier, P 1958Nonparametric estimation from incomplete observationsJ Am Stat Assoc53457481Google Scholar
- 28.Ermani M, Brandes A, Pasetto LM, Basso U, Reni M, Turazzi S, Berlucchi S, Ruzzolino P, Pinna G, Scienza R. Monfardini S, First line chemotherapy with cisplatin plus fractionated temozolomide [bid] in recurrent glioblastoma (GBM). Annual Meeting ASCO abs 2076. Orlando, 2000Google Scholar
- 40.Di Meco, F, Li, KW, Tyler, BM, Wolf, AS, Brem, H, Olivi, A 2002Local delivery of mitoxantrone for the treatment of malignant brain tumors in ratsJ Neurosurg511731178Google Scholar