Dopamine-NO Interactions in the Nucleus Accumbens during Stress-Induced Inhibition of Exploratory Behavior
Experiments on Sprague–Dawley rats using vital intracerebral microdialysis showed that stress accompanied by the acquisition of a conditioned reflex fear reaction leads, at one day, to inhibition of exploratory activity and reductions in exploratory activity-induced increases in extracellular citrulline level (citrulline is a coproduct of NO synthesis) in the nucleus accumbens). Administration of the D2 dopamine receptor antagonist raclopride (10 μM) after acquisition of the conditioned reflex fear reaction led, one day after administration, to recovery of the parameters of exploratory behavior and reversal o the increase in the extracellular citrulline level in the nucleus accumbens accompanying this behavior. These data provide the first evidence that inhibition of exploratory behavior by previously experienced stress may be mediated by a stress-induced decrease the activity of the nitrergic system of the nucleus accumbens formed with the involvement of dopamine D2 receptors in this structure.
Keywordscitrulline exploratory behavior nucleus accumbens vital intracerebral microdialysis dopamine-NOergic interactions
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.S. A. Savel’ev, N. S. Repkina, and N. B. Saul’skaya, “A sensitive method for assay of citrulline for vital monitoring of nitric oxide production in the CNS,” Ros. Fiziol. Zh., 91, No. 5, 587–591 (2005).Google Scholar
- 2.N. B. Saul’skaya and Ya. V. Belozerov, “Danger signals inhibit nitrergic activation of the nucleus accumbens induced by exploratory behavior,” Zh. Vyssh. Nerv. Deyat., 62, No. 4, 475–484 (2012).Google Scholar
- 3.N. B. Saul’skaya and P. V. Sudorgina, “Effects of blockade of dopamine D2 receptors on the activity of the nitrergic system of the nucleus accumbens in the rat brain,” Ros. Fiziol. Zh., 98, No. 3, 14–20 (2012).Google Scholar
- 4.N. B. Saul’skaya and P. V. Sudorgina, “Mediolateral gradient in the nitrergic activation of the nucleus accumbens during exploratory behavior,” Ros. Fiziol. Zh., 98, No. 4, 461–468 (2012).Google Scholar
- 5.N. B. Saul’skaya and E. A. Terekhova, “Synergistic activation of the nitrergic system of the nucleus accumbens by dopamine D1 and D2 receptor agonists,” Ros. Fiziol. Zh., 98, No. 7, 819–826 (2012).Google Scholar
- 9.S. J. French and H. Hartung, “Nitrergic tone influences activity of both ventral striatum projection neurons and interneurons,” in: The Basal Ganglia, H. J. Groenewegen et al. (eds.), Springer Verlag, Berlin (2009), 9th ed., pp. 337–350.Google Scholar