Lactate Dehydrogenase Activity in the Cerebral Cortex and Hippocampus of Mongolian Gerbils in Ischemic and Reperfusion Injuries
- 80 Downloads
The aim of the present work was to analyze changes in lactate dehydrogenase (LDH) activity in the cytoplasm of neurons in the hippocampus and cerebral cortex on Mongolian gerbils (Meriones unguiculatus) in the early and late reperfusion periods after global ischemia. LDH activity in pyramidal neurons in various hippocampal fields and in neurons in cerebral cortex layers II, III, and V after 7-min forebrain ischemia was found to depend on the locations of these neuron types and the duration of postischemic reperfusion. The dynamics of LDH activity in neurons were characterized by a significant decrease two days after reperfusion, with different levels of normalization by day 7 of the reperfusion period.
Keywordslactate dehydrogenase brain ischemia-reperfusion Mongolian gerbil
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.L. S. Agroskin and G. V. Papayan, Cytophotometry [in Russian], Nauka, Leningrad (1977).Google Scholar
- 2.O. S. Vinogradova, The Hippocampus and Memory [in Russian], Nauka, Moscow (1975).Google Scholar
- 3.E. I. Gusev and V. I. Skvortsov, Cerebral Ischemia [in Russian], Meditsina, Moscow (2001).Google Scholar
- 4.T. B. Zhuravleva and R. A. Prochukhanov, Introduction to Quantitative Enzyme Histochemistry [in Russian], Meditsina, Moscow (1978).Google Scholar
- 5.N. S. Kolomeets, “Hippocampal pathology in schizophrenia,” Zh. Nevrol. Psikhiat. S. S. Korsakova, 107, 103–114 (2007).Google Scholar
- 6.E. Pearse, Histochemistry Theoretical and Applied [Russian translation], IL Press, Moscow (1962).Google Scholar
- 7.N. S. Shcherbak, M. M. Galagudza, E. M. Nifontov, et al., “Effects of ischemic postconditioning in experimental global cerebral ischemia,” Arter. Gipertenz., 17, No. 2, 182–188 (2011).Google Scholar
- 15.W. J. Loskota, P. Lomax, and M. A. Verity, A Stereotaxic Atlas of the Mongolian Gerbil Brain, Ann Arbor Science Publishers, Ann Arbor (1974).Google Scholar
- 20.K. Siraishi,Y. Takeda, K. Masui, et al., “Effect of fentanyl on ischemic depolarization and ischemic neuronal damage of hippocampal CA1 in the gerbil,” 25, No. 4, 540–548 (2011).Google Scholar