Intracellular expression of c-Fos protein in various structures of the hypothalamus in electrical pain stimulation and administration of antigens
- 62 Downloads
Application of different stimuli activated different hypothalamic structures. Immunohistochemical methods demonstrated changes in the numbers of c-Fos-positive cells in various hypothalamic structures after electrical pain stimulation and i.v. administration of antigens (bovine serum albumin (BSA) and lipopolysaccharide (LPS)). Increases in the numbers of c-Fos-positive cells in all the hypothalamic structures studied occurred after electrical pain stimulation and i.v. administration of antigens (BSA and LPS). The highest level of activation in hypothalamic structures was seen in the anterior hypothalamic nucleus (AHN) and posterior hypothalamic area (PH) after electrical pain stimulation and in the paraventricular nucleus (PVN) and lateral hypothalamic area level 28 (LHA-28) after i.v. administration of LPS. Comparative analysis showed that the level of activation of hypothalamic structures after electrical pain stimulation was significantly greater in the AHN, PVN, LHA, and PH than after i.v. administration of antigens (LPS and BSA). Administration of LPS led to more marked activation of cells in hypothalamic structures APH, PVN, LHA-28, dorsomedial hypothalamic nucleus (DMH), and PH (in terms of the numbers of c-Fos-positive cells) than administration of BSA.
Key Wordsc-Fos electrical pain stimulation lipopolysaccharide bovine serum albumin
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.I. N. Bogolepova, Structure and Development of the Human Hypothalamus [in Russian], Meditsina, Leningrad (1968).Google Scholar
- 4.V. A. Lesnikov, S. B. Adzhieva, and E. N. Isaeva, “Hypothalamic modulation of the hematopoetic function of the bone marrow,” in: Proceedings of the First All-Union Immunology Congress, Moscow (1989), Vol. 1, p. 331.Google Scholar
- 5.N. S. Novikova, T. B. Kazakova, V. Rodgers, and E. A. Korneva, “Comparative analysis of the location and intensity of c-fos gene expression in defined structures of the hypothalamus in mechanical and electrical pain stimulation,” Patogenez, 2, 73–79 (2004).Google Scholar
- 6.S. N. Olenev and A. S. Olenev, Neurobiology-95 [in Russian], SPbGPMA Press, St. Petersburg (1995).Google Scholar
- 7.A. L. Polenov, Hypothalamic Neurosecretion [in Russian], Nauka, Moscow (1971).Google Scholar
- 15.L. E. Goehler, R. P. A. Gaykema, and K. Hansen, “Staphylococcal enterotoxin B induces fever, brain c-Fos expression, and serum corticosterone in rats,” Amer. J. Physiol. Reg. Integr. Comp. Physiol., 280, R1434–R1439 (2001).Google Scholar
- 21.Brain Maps: Computer Graphics Files, L. W. Swanson (ed.), Elsevier Sci. BV, Amsterdam (1992).Google Scholar