Apoptosis of hypothalamic neurosecretory cells in stress mice at different stages of ontogenesis
- 54 Downloads
The aim of the present work was to identify the role of cycloferon in the apoptosis of cells in the neurosecretory centers of the hypothalamus in young and old mice in conditions of immobilization stress. Apoptotic cells were identified by staining with ethidium bromide. The optical density of the detection product of the antiapoptotic protein Bcl-2 was also studied in cells of the supraoptic and paraventricular (PVN) nuclei. Cycloferon was found to decrease the level of apoptosis in the neurosecretory centers of the hypothalamus via a Bcl-2-independent pathway. Administration of cycloferon before stress had no effect on the number of apoptotic cells, except in the PVN of old mice, where apoptosis was inhibited.
Key wordshypothalamus apoptosis cycloferon aging stress
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.E. D. Bazhanova and D. L. Teplyi, “Effects of interferon-alpha on the hypothalamo-hypophyseal-adrenocortical system in mice in aging,” Zh. Évolyuts. Biokhim., 39, No. 5, 482–487 (2003).Google Scholar
- 3.I. S. Novikov, D. V. Bulavin, and V. N. Tsygan, “The molecular mechanism initiating cell death,” in: Programmed Cell Death [in Russian], Nauka, St. Petersburg (1996), pp. 30–50.Google Scholar
- 4.G. T. Sukhikh, N. N. Nosik, O. V. Parshina, et al., “The interaction of the natural cell cytotoxicity system and the interferon system in immobilization stress,” Byull. Éksperim. Biol., 98, No. 11, 593–595 (1984).Google Scholar
- 6.V. V. Frol’kis, G. V. Valueva, and N. V. Verzhikovskaya, “Interaction between the hypothalamo-hypophyseal system and the thyroid gland at different age periods,” Byull. Éksperim. Biol., 86, No. 8, 133–137 (1978).Google Scholar
- 7.H. Atabasides, C. M. Tsipialis, and M. Havredaki, “Poly(A) polymerase specifically implicated in the mechanism of chemotherapeutic drug action during cell apoptosis,” J. Biol. Markers, 15, No. 1, 10–14 (2000).Google Scholar
- 19.S. Phaneuf and C. Leeuwenburgh, “Cytochrome c release from mitochondria in the aging heart: a possible mechanism for apoptosis with age,” Amer. J. Physiol. Regul. Integr. Comp. Physiol., 282, No. 2, R423–430 (2002).Google Scholar