Efficient and thermally stable red luminescence from nano-sized phosphor of Gd6MoO12:Eu3+
A novel red-emitting nano-phosphor of Eu3+-doped Gd6MoO12 was successfully synthesized by the Pechini method. The crystalline phase was confirmed by X-ray powder diffraction analysis. The morphology of the nano-phosphor was analyzed by scanning electron microscopy, indicating a good crystallization with particles smaller than 500 nm. The luminescence properties such as photoluminescence spectra and decay curves were investigated. The phosphors can be efficiently excited by near-ultraviolet (near-UV) light and exhibit a bright red luminescence around 613 nm ascribed to the forced electric dipole transition 5D0→7F2 of Eu3+ ions. The thermal stabilities were investigated from the temperature-dependent luminescence decay curves (lifetimes) and spectra intensities. The luminescence properties in relation to applications in white light-emitting diodes (W-LEDs) such as the absolute luminescence quantum efficiency, excitation wavelength, and color coordinates were discussed. The Gd6MoO12:Eu3+ nano-phosphor is a promising red-emitting candidate for the fabrication of W-LEDs with near-UV chips.
KeywordsNano-particles Molybdate Phosphor Luminescence
This research was supported by Basic Science Research Program through the National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF) funded by the Ministry of Science, ICT & Future Planning (NRF-2013-R1A1A2009154) and by A Project Funded by the Priority Academic Program Development of Jiangsu Higher Education Institutions (PAPD).
- Fournier J, Fournier J, Kohlmuller R (1970) Etude des systemes La2O3-MoO3, Y2O3-MoO3, et des phases Ln6MoO12. Bull Soc Chim Fr 12:4277–4283Google Scholar
- Jia CG, Sun LD, Yan ZG, Pang YC, Lü SZ, Yan CH (2010) Monazite and zircon type LaVO4:Eu nanocrystals: synthesis, luminescent properties, and spectroscopic identification of the Eu3+ sites. Eur J Inorg Chem 2626–2635Google Scholar
- Shigeo S, William M (1998) Phosphor Handbook. CRC Press, WashingtonGoogle Scholar
- Tian Y, Chen BJ, Hua RN, Yu NS, Liu BQ, Sun JS, Cheng LH, Zhong HY, Li XP, Zhang JS, Tian BN, Zhong H (2012) Self-assembled 3D flower-shaped NaY(WO4)2: Eu3+ microarchitectures: Microwave-assisted hydrothermal synthesis, growth mechanism and luminescent properties. CrystEngComm 14:1760–1769CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Zairov R, Mustafina A, Shamsutdinova N, Rümmeli MH, Amirov R, Burilov V, Pinus M, Morozov V, Ivanov V, Gogolashvili E, Tatarinov D, Mironov V, Konovalov A (2012) The effect of the core morphology of Eu(III)-doped nanoparticles on the ion exchange versus energy transfer between Eu(III) in the core and Cu(II) ions at the interface. J Nanopart Res 14:1018–1031CrossRefGoogle Scholar