Size-controlled synthesis of Fe2O3 and Fe3O4 nanoparticles onto zeolite by means of a modified activated-coprecipitation method: effect of the HCl concentration during the activation
- 1.2k Downloads
Synthetic sodium type A zeolite bearing Fe2O3 and Fe3O4 nanoparticles composites have been prepared by means of a coprecipitation method with two different activation methodologies, one using Sn and the other using Sn/Pd nanoparticles as activators. Sn activation generates hematite nanoparticles while Sn/Pd produces magnetite nanoparticles. Amount of HCl used during the activation of the zeolite with SnCl2 showed a correlation between the stannous activating species and the particle size. Both Sn and Sn–Pd activated nanocomposites show nearly narrow size distributions but only those iron oxides obtained with Sn–Pd showed supermagnetism.
KeywordsSuperparamagnetism Controlled particle size Clinoptilolite Activated-coprecipitation method
The authors are grateful to the Autonomous University of the State of Mexico (UAEM) for the financial support through the research project 3246/2012CHT. We thank the CID-KUO for the facilities to fulfill this work. We thank Dr. José Israel Betancourt Reyes for his help with VSM experiments.
- Abe H, Govindachetty S, Xu Y, Sekido N, Yamabe-Mitarai Y, Shimoda M (2010) Synthesis and catalytic performance of intermetallic nanoparticles. Materia 49:314–316 ISSN: 1340-2625Google Scholar
- Chen D, Chen P, Huagong XC (2009) Synthesis and application of magnetic magnetite nanoparticles. N Chemical Mater 37(49):10–12 ISSN: 1006-3536Google Scholar
- Dlugopolska K, Ruman T, Pogocki D, Danilczuk M (2009) Wiad Chem 63(11-12):1073–1088 ISSN: 0043-5104Google Scholar
- Han W, Liu G, Xu Y, Wang P, Liu Q (2007) Method for preparing nanoscale granular material for removing heavy metals. Patent Numer 2007.10300310Google Scholar
- Iwasaki T (2010) Facile synthesis of superparamagnetic magnetite nanoparticles using mechanochemical effect. Kagaku to Kogyo Chem Chem Ind 61:521–525. ISSN: 0451-2014Google Scholar
- Maeda K, Domen K, Shokubai (2010) Development of core/shell-structured noble-metal/Cr2O3 nanoparticles as effective promoters for overall water splitting by particulate photocatalysts. Shokubai 52:160–165 ISSN: 0559-8958Google Scholar
- Shekhawat GS, Arya V (2008) Nanomedicines: emergence a new era in biomedical sciences. NanoTrends 5:9–20 ISSN 0973-418XGoogle Scholar