Nano TiO2 film electrode for electrocatalytic reduction of furfural in ionic liquids
- 317 Downloads
Nanoporous TiO2 having enhanced surface area was synthesized by sol–gel method. An “environmental friendly” method for production of furfuryl alcohol was presented by electrocatalytic reduction of furfural to furfuryl alcohol in ionic liquid medium at the surface of nanoporous TiO2 film electrode. The heterogeneous catalytic redox behaviour of a nanoporous TiO2 film electrode surface was investigated by cyclic voltammetry (CV). It was found that the catalytic reduction of furfural by Ti(IV)/Ti(III) redox system on the nanoporous TiO2 film surface. The electrode reaction mechanism is called catalytic (EC′) mechanism, current density can reach 38 mA/cm2 and yielding an overall conversion efficiency of 61.7%.
KeywordsFurfural Furfuryl alcohol Ionic liquids Nanoporous TiO2 electrode Electrocatalytic reduction Sol–gel synthesis
This work was supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (no. 20476001).
- Chen XF, Li H, Luo HS, Qiao MH (2002) Liquid phase hydrogenation of furfural to furfuryl alcohol over Mo-doped Co-B amorphous alloy catalysts. Appl Catal Gen 233:13–20Google Scholar
- Chu DB, Zhou XF, Lin CJ, Tan JG (1999) Preparation of nanocrystalline TiO2 (anatase) with high thermal and textural sability by electrochemical method. Electrochemistry 4:443–447Google Scholar
- Chu DB, Zhou XF, Lin CJ, Tan JG (2000) Direct electrochemical synthesis of metal alkoxides. Chem J Chin Univ 1:133–135Google Scholar
- Chu DB, Shen GX, Zhou XF, Lin CJ, Lin HS (2002) Electrocatalytic activity of nanocrystalline TiO2 film modified Ti electrode. Chem J Chin Univ 23:678–681Google Scholar
- Chu DB, Li XH, Liu XY, Yao WL (2004) Electrolytic fixation of CO2 by electrocarboxylation of RX on nanocrystalline TiO2-Pt cathode. Chin J Chem 22:1231–1234Google Scholar
- Chu DB, Zhang LY, Zhang JH, Zhang XM, Yin XJ (2006) Heterogeneous electrocatalytic reduction of furfural on nanocrystalline TiO2/CNT complex film electrode in the DMF solution. Acta Phys Chim Sin 22:373–377Google Scholar
- Ravichandran C, Noel M, Anantharaman PN (1994) Electrosynthesis of toluidines using thermally coated Ti/TiO2 electrodes. J Appl Electrochem 24:956–969Google Scholar
- Zhou XF, Chu DB, Gu JS, Lin CJ, Lin HS, Tian ZQ (2000) Direct electrochemical preparation of titanium alkoxides. Acta Chimi Sin 11:1327–1331Google Scholar