Size and interface effects on Curie temperature of perovskite ferroelectric nanosolids
- 302 Downloads
A simple and unified model, without any adjustable parameter, is established for size effect on Curie temperature of low-dimensional ferroelectrics (thin films, nanowires and nanoparticles), T c(D), where D denotes size of low-dimensional ferroelectrics. T c(D) function is based on consideration on the size dependence of spontaneous polarization of low-dimensional ferroelectrics P s(D), which is determined by the misfit strain at the ferroelectrics/substrate interface. It is shown that P s(D) and T c(D) functions decrease or increase when the misfit strain is tensile or compressive. The numerically predicted results are in agreement with the available experimental results of BaTiO3 and PbTiO3 nanoparticles and thin films.
KeywordsCurie temparature size effect interface ferroelectrics nanoparticles modeling
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
The authors acknowledge support by National Key Basic Research and Development Program (Grant No. 2004CB619301) and by “985 Project” of Jilin University are acknowledged.
- Haeni J.H., Irvin P., Chang W., Uecker R., Reiche P., Li Y.L., Choudhury S., Tian W., Hawiey M.E., Craigo B., Tagantsev A.K., Pan X.Q., Streiffer S.K., Chen L.Q., Kirchoefer S.W., Levy J., Schlom D.G., (2004). Room-temperature ferroelectricity in strained SrTiO3. Nature 430:758–761CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Lines M.E., 1969. Statistical theory for displacement ferroelectrics. Phys. Rev. 177, 797–812. Statistical theory for displacement ferroelectrics. II. Specific-heat and soft-mode-frequency calculations. 177, 812–818; 1969. Statistical theory for displacement ferroelectrics. III. Comparison with experiment for lithium tantalate. 177, 819–829Google Scholar
- Mitsui T., Tatsuzaki I., Nakamura E., (1976). An Introduction to the Physics of Ferroelectrics. Gordon and Breach, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Shi F.G., (1994). Size dependent thermal vibrations and melting in nanocrystals. J. Mater. Res. 9:1307–1313Google Scholar
- Wang B. & C.H. Woo 2004. The order of transition of a ferroelectric thin film on a compliant substrate. Acta Mater. 52, 5639–5644Google Scholar
- Wang B. & C.H. Woo 2005. Curie temperature and critical thickness of ferroelectric thin films. J. Appl. Phys. 97, 84109–84110Google Scholar
- Weast R.C., Astle M.J., Beyer W.H. (1988) CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics. CRC Press, Boca Raton, p. B-195, 69th editionGoogle Scholar