The First Case of Total Dystrophic Onychomycosis Caused by Aspergillus clavatus Resistant to Antifungal Drugs
- 225 Downloads
Onychomycosis is a common fungal infection of nails which is mainly caused by dermatophyte species and less often by yeasts and non-dermatophyte molds. We present a case of onychomycosis due to Aspergillus clavatus for the first time worldwide. The patient was an immunocompetent 32-year-old woman who identified with Psoriasis of the nail. The presence of A. clavatus in a nail sample was confirmed using microscopic and culture analysis followed by PCR of the β-tubulin gene. After antifungal susceptibility test, it is revealed that the isolate was resistant to the majority of common antifungal drugs, but finally the patient was treated with itraconazole 200 mg daily. A. clavatus and drug-resistant A. clavatus have not previously been reported from onychomycosis.
KeywordsAspergillus clavatus PCR of the β-tubulin gene Resistant to antifungal drugs
The authors thank Dr. Saham Ansari for his technical assistance.
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of interest
The authors report no conflict of interests.
- 2.Abastabar M, Rezaei-Matehkolaei A, Shidfar MR, Kordbacheh P, Mohammadi R, Shokohi T, Hedayati MT, Jalalizand N, Mirhendi H. Molecular epidemiological survey of clinically important dermatophytes in Iran based on specific RFLP profiles of Beta-tubulin gene. Iran J Publ Health. 2013;42:1049–57.Google Scholar
- 4.Flannigan B, Pearce AR. Aspergillus spoilage: spoilage of cereals and cereal products by the hazardous species Aspergillus clavatus. 1st ed. New York: Plenum Press; 1994.Google Scholar
- 10.Klich MA, Pitt JI. A laboratory guide to common Aspergillus species and their teleomorphs. 1st ed. North Ryde: Common wealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organization; 1988.Google Scholar
- 15.Suh SB, Byun DK, Lee KY. A case of onychomycosis by Aspergillus sydowi. Korean J Dermatol. 1996;6:39–43.Google Scholar
- 16.Lee BJ, Kim IJ, Suh SB. Two cases of onychomycosis due to Aspergillus repens. Korean J Dermatol. 1981;19:881–6.Google Scholar
- 23.Martos G, Guarro J, Gene J, Linares M, Ortoneda M. Onychomycosis caused by Aspergillus sclerotiorum. J Med Mycol. 2001;11:222–4.Google Scholar