Validation of an HPLC Analytical Method Coupled to a Multifunctional Clean-up Column for the Determination of Deoxynivalenol
- 244 Downloads
To evaluate a method using a multifunctional clean-up column coupled with high performance liquid chromatography as an official analytical method for the determination of deoxynivalenol in wheat used as food or feed, an inter-laboratory study was performed in 12 laboratories using four naturally contaminated wheat samples and one spiked sample. The relative standard deviations for repeatability (RSDr) and reproducibility (RSDR) of naturally contaminated wheat were in the range 5.8–11.3% and 12.0–20.7%, respectively. The HORRAT was less than 1.0 in each sample. From the spiking test, the recovery rate, RSDr, RSDR and HORRAT value were 100.0%, 11.2%, 10.3% and 0.5, respectively. The limit of quantification is 0.10 mg/kg from the range obtained in a linear calibration. Thus, it should be useful as a sensitive and validated analytical method for the determination of deoxynivalenol in wheat intended for use in food and feed.
KeywordsDeoxynivalenol (DON) HPLC inter-laboratory study multifunctional clean-up column validation wheat
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Tanaka, T, Hasegawa, A, Yamamoto, S, Lee, US, Sugiura, Y, Ueno, Y 1988World wide contamination of cereals by the Fusarium mycotoxins, nivalenol, deoxynivalenol, and zearalenone. 1. Survey of 19 countriesJ Agric Food Chem36979983Google Scholar
- 2.Rotter, BA, Prelusky, DB, Pestka, JJ 1996Toxicology of deoxynivalenol (vomitoxin)J Toxicol Environ48134Google Scholar
- 3.Joint FAO/WHO Expert Committee on Food Additives 47th Session ed., Safety evaluation of certain mycotoxins in food. Geneva, 2001; pp. 419–556.Google Scholar
- 5.Yoshizawa, T 1984 Natural occurrence of Fusarium toxins in JapanKurata, HUeno, Y eds. Toxigenic Fungi-Their Toxins and Health HazardElsevierAmsterdam292300Google Scholar
- 6.Scientific Committee on Food. Opinion of the Scientific Committee on Food on Fusarium toxins, Part 6: Group evaluation of T-2 toxin, HT-2 toxin, nivalenol and deoxynivalenol (adopted on 26 February 2002). http://www.europa.eu.int/comm/food/fs/sc/scf/index_en.html .
- 9.Shirai, Y, Ono, Y, Akimoto, K 2000Simultaneous determination of deoxynivalenol and nivalenol in grain by high performance liquid chromatography with multifunctional clean up column for purificationRes Rep Animal Feed2619Google Scholar
- 22.Horwitz, W 1995Protocol for the design, conduct and inter-pretation of method-performance studiesPure Appl Chem67331343Google Scholar
- 23.Youden, WJ, Steiner, EH 1975Statistical analysisYouden, WJSteiner, EH eds. Statistical Manual of the Association of Official Analytical ChemistsAssociation of Official Analytical ChemistsArlington7283Google Scholar
- 24.Gilbert, J 2002Validation of analytical methods for determining mycotoxins in foodstuffsTrends Analyt Chem21468486Google Scholar
- 25.Horwitz, W. Guidelines for Collaorative Study Procedures to validate characteristics of a method of analysis. AOAC official methods of analysis. 17th Ed. appendix D, 2000; pp. 1–11.Google Scholar