Keratinophilic fungi from the vicinity of meteorite crater soils of Lonar (India)
- 71 Downloads
Thirty-two soil samples were collected from six sites in the vicinity of Lonar lake, a meteorite crater and screened for presence of keratinophilic fungi using hair baiting techniques for isolation. Seventeen isolates were recovered and identified. The cultures were identified by recognition of their macro- and micromorphological features. Their identification was also confirmed by the BLAST search of sequences of ITS1-5.8S-ITS2 rDNA region against the NCBI/Gene bank data and compared with deposited sequences for identification purpose. Seven species of four genera were isolated viz. Aphanoascus durus (9.38%), Aphanoascus punsolae (3.125%), Auxarthron kuehnii (3.125%), Chrysosporium indicum (25.00%), Chrysosporium tropicum (3.125%), Chrysosporium sp. (3.125%), Chrysosporium state of Ctenomyces serratus (6.25%).
KeywordsIndia keratinophilic fungi Lonar meteorite crater soil fungi
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Nandy, NC, Deo, VB 1961Origin of Lonar lake and its alkalinityJ Bull TISCO Jamshedpur8112Google Scholar
- 2.Jingran AG, Rao KV. Geological aspects of Lonar lake Rec Geol Survey India 1954; 85: 313–334Google Scholar
- 4.Sigler, L, Carmichael, JW 1976Taxonomy of Malbranchea and some other hyphomycetes with arthroconidiaMycotaxon4349488Google Scholar
- 5.Oorschot, CAN 1980A revision of Chrysosporium and allied generaStud Mycol20189Google Scholar
- 6.Currah, RS 1985Taxonomy of Onygenales: Arthrodermaceae, Gymnoascaceae, Myxotrichaceae and OnygenaceaeMycotaxon241216Google Scholar
- 7.Arx, JA 1986The ascomycetes genus Gymnoascus Persoonia13173183Google Scholar
- 8.Cano, J, Gurrao, J 1990The genus Aphanoascus Myco Res94355377Google Scholar
- 9.Lee, SB, Taylor, JW 1990Isolation of DNA from fungal mycelium and single cellsInnis, MAGelfand, DHSninsky, JJWhite, TJ eds. PCR Protocols: A Guide to Methods and ApplicationsAcademic PressSan Diego, California, USA282287Google Scholar
- 10.White, TJ, Bruns, T, Lee, S, Taylor, J 1990Amplification and direct sequencing of fungal ribosomal RNA genes for phylogeneticsInnis, AGelfand, DHSninsky, JJWhite, TJ eds. PCR Protocols: A Guide to Methods and ApplicationsAcademic PressSan Diego, California, USA315322Google Scholar
- 12.Deshmukh, SK, Agrawal, SC 1998Biology of keratinophilic fungi and related dermatophytesVarma, A. eds. Microbes: For Health, Wealth and Sustainable EnvironmentMPHNew Delhi India253272Google Scholar
- 16.Kushwaha, RKS, Agarwal, SC 1976Some keratinophilic fungi and related dermatophytes from soilsProc. Indian Natn Sci Acad42102110Google Scholar