Combined effects of selected Penicillium mycotoxins on in vitro proliferation of porcine lymphocytes
- 135 Downloads
The in vitro effect of combinations of the Penicillium mycotoxins citrinin (CIT), cyclopiazonic acid (CPA), ochratoxin A (OTA), patulin (PAT), penicillic acid (PIA) and roquefortine C (RQC) on mitogen induced lymphocyte proliferation was determined using purified lymphocytes from six piglets. Dose–response curves for each mycotoxin and mycotoxin combinations were generated. The combined effects of toxin pairs based on IC20 were illustrated in isobole diagrams and statistically calculated. OTA and CIT elicited a synergistic effect. Four toxin pairs elicited additive effects, four pairs less–than–additive effects and six pairs independent effects. Thus, the majority of toxin pairs tested produced lower combined effects than an additive effect. The results indicate that the sum effect of all toxins is less than that from the summation of concentrations of the individual compounds, adjusted for differences in potencies.
Keywordscitrinin cyclopiazonic acid ochratoxin A patulin penicillic acid roquefortine C interaction
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Frisvad, JC, Thrane, U. 2002Mycotoxin production by common filamentous fungiSamson, RAHoekstra, ESFrisvad, JCFiltenborg, O eds. Introduction to Food- and Airborne FungiUtrechtThe Netherlands3213306th edn.Google Scholar
- Samarajeewa, U. 1991Degradation of mycotoxins by physical methodsSmith, JEHenderson, RS eds. Mycotoxins and Animal FoodsCRS pressLondon785797Google Scholar
- Keblys M, Bernhoft A, Höfer CC, Morrison E, Larsen HJS, Flåøyen A. The effects of the Penicillium mycotoxins citrinin, cyclopiazonic acid, ochratoxin A, patulin, penicillic acid, and roquefortine C on in vitro proliferation of porcine lymphocytes. Mycopathologia 2004, acceptedGoogle Scholar
- Council for Agricultural Science and Technology. Mycotoxins: Risks in plant, animal, and human systems. Task Force Report 2003; No. 139: 1–199Google Scholar
- Parrott, JL, Sprague, JB 1993Patterns in toxicity of sublethal mixtures of metals and organic chemicals determined by Microtox® and DNA, RNA, and protein content of fathead minnows (Pimephales promelas).Can J Fish Aquat Sci5022452253Google Scholar
- The Danish Veterinary and Food Administration. Combined actions and interactions of chemicals in mixtures. The toxicological effects of exposure to mixtures of industrial and environmental chemicals. FødevareRapport 2003; 12: 1–158.Google Scholar
- Koshinsky, HA, Khachatourians, GG 1994Mycotoxicoses: The effects of mycotoxin combinationsHui, YHGorham, JRMurrell, KDCliver, DO eds. Foodborne Disease Handbook. Diseases Caused by Viruses, Parasites, and FungiUniversity of Saskatchewan, SaskatoonCanada463520Vol. 2Google Scholar