Geometric nonlinear effects on the planar dynamics of a pivoted flexible beam encountering a point-surface impact
- 149 Downloads
Flexible-body modeling with geometric nonlinearities remains a hot topic of research by applications in multibody system dynamics undergoing large overall motions. However, the geometric nonlinear effects on the impact dynamics of flexible multibody systems have attracted significantly less attention. In this paper, a point-surface impact problem between a rigid ball and a pivoted flexible beam is investigated. The Hertzian contact law is used to describe the impact process, and the dynamic equations are formulated in the floating frame of reference using the assumed mode method. The two important geometric nonlinear effects of the flexible beam are taken into account, i.e., the longitudinal foreshortening effect due to the transverse deformation, and the stress stiffness effect due to the axial force. The simulation results show that good consistency can be obtained with the nonlinear finite element program ABAQUS/Explicit if proper geometric nonlinearities are included in the floating frame formulation. Specifically, only the foreshortening effect should be considered in a pure transverse impact for efficiency, while the stress stiffness effect should be further considered in an oblique case with much more computational effort. It also implies that the geometric nonlinear effects should be considered properly in the impact dynamic analysis of more general flexible multibody systems.
KeywordsGeometric nonlinearity Impact Floating frame formulation Flexible multibody systems ABAQUS/Explicit
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Na, K.S., Kim, J.H.: Dynamic analysis for the deployment of a multi-link flexible structure undergoing locking. AIAA-2001-1475 (2001) Google Scholar
- 5.Schiehlen, W., Seifried, R.: Impact mechanics in mechanical engineering. In: Proceedings of the International Conference on Mechanical Engineering and Mechanics, Nanjing, China, pp. 2–10 (2005) Google Scholar
- 7.Lankarani, H.M., Nikravesh, P.E.: Continuous contact force models for impact analysis in multibody systems. Nonlinear Dyn. 5, 193–207 (1994) Google Scholar
- 8.Flores, P., Ambrósio, J., Claro, J.C.P., Lankarani, H.M.: Influence of the contact-impact force model on the dynamic response of multibody systems. Proc. Inst. Mech. Eng. Part-K J. Multi-body Dyn. 220(1), 21–34 (2006) Google Scholar
- 9.Zhang, T., Wang, D.: Elastic analysis for the relationships between impact force and indentation. J. Harbin Inst. Technol. 1, 26–35 (1990) (in Chinese) Google Scholar
- 20.ABAQUS Theory Manual, Version 6.8. Dassault Systèmes Simulia Corp., Providence, RI, USA (2008) Google Scholar