Investigating the effect of displacement rate on deformation and failure mechanisms in bonded elastomers
- 36 Downloads
Deformation and failure mechanisms in bi-material specimens were investigated under three different loading speeds (0.0254 cm/min, 0.254 cm/min and 2.54 cm/min). Two different viscoelastic materials were used to generate bi-material specimens. The experimental data were analyzed and the effect of applied displacement rate on strain distributions and interfacial failure mechanisms in the bonded specimens are discussed. Close inspection of the specimens showed that at failure initiation widely different deformation rates occurred at roughly the same global strain levels and were concentrated in the interphase regions near the bondlines.
KeywordsBi-material viscoelastic specimen Deformation and failure mechanisms Speckle interferometry
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Asundi, A., Chiang, F.P.: Theory and application of white light speckle methods. Opt. Eng. 21(4), 470–580 (1982) Google Scholar
- Bowen, J.M., Knauss, W.G.: An experimental study of crack kinking at an interface. GALCIT SM Report 91-15, Caltech (1991) Google Scholar
- Chiang, F.P., et al.: New developments in full field strain measurements using speckles. Am. Soc. Test. Mater. Special Tech. Publ. 1318, 156–169 (1997) Google Scholar
- Geubelle, P.H., Knauss, W.G.: Crack propagation at and near bimaterial interface. GALCIT SM Report 91-71, Caltech (1991) Google Scholar
- Hutchinson, J.W., Suo, Z.: Mixed mode crack in layered materials. Adv. Appl. Mech. 29, 63–91 (1991) Google Scholar
- Knauss, W.G., Bowen, J.M.: The characterization of the energy of fracture at or near interface between viscoelastic solids. GALCIT SM Report 91-14, Caltech (1991) Google Scholar
- Smith, C.W., Finlayson, E.F., Liu, C.T.: A methods for evaluating stress intensity distribution for cracks in rocket motor bondlines. Eng. Fract. Mech. 58(1/2), 97–105 (1977) Google Scholar
- Smith, C.W., Gloss, K.T., Constantinesscu, D.M., Liu, C.T.: Influence of bondline on SIF values for nearby parallel cracks. Symposium on Recent Advances in Mechanics of Solid and Structures, ASME-PVP V369, pp. 1–10 (1997) Google Scholar