Analysis of maximum tolerant depth distortion in view synthesis
- 119 Downloads
In view synthesis, pixels in an original view are warped into a virtual view with depth-image-based rendering (DIBR). During the procedure of DIBR, distortions in depth map may lead to geometric errors in the synthesized view which will induce quality degradation of synthesized view. Therefore, how to efficiently preserve the fidelity of depth information is extremely important. In this paper, we explore and develop a maximum tolerable depth distortion (MTDD) model to examine the allowable depth distortion which will not introduce any texture distortion for a rendered virtual view and accordingly develop. Experimental results show that a virtual view can be synthesized without introducing any geometric changes if depth distortions follow the MTDD specified thresholds.
KeywordsDepth-image-based rendering (DIBR) Multi-view plus depth (MVD) View synthesis distortion Geometry distortion
This work is supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China under Grants 61471262, 61520106002 and 61601261, and by Ph.D. Programs Foundation of Ministry of Education of China under Grants 20110032110029 and 20130032110010, Doctoral Fund of Natural Science Foundation of Shandong Province under Grants 2016ZRB01AIU and a Smart Future Fellowship sponsored by the Queensland Government of Commonwealth Australia.
- 1.Daribo I, Tillier C, Pesquet-Popescu B (2008) Adaptive wavelet coding of the depth map for stereoscopic view synthesis. In: Proc. IEEE 10th Workshop MSP, pp 413–417Google Scholar
- 4.Federica B, Emilie B, Marco C, Patrick L, Simone P (2015) Objective image quality assessment of 3D synthesized views. J Signal Proc image Com 30(2015):78–88Google Scholar
- 9.Mateusz G, Krzysztof W, Marek D (2008) View synthesis software and assessment of its performance. ISO/IEC JTC1/SC29/WG11 MPEG/M15672Google Scholar
- 10.McMillan L Jr (1997) An image-based approach to three-dimensional computer graphics. Ph.D. dissertation, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, NC Natural Science Foundation of Shandong ProvinceGoogle Scholar
- 11.Merkle P, Smolic A, Mller K, Wiegand T (2007) Multi-view video plus depth representation and coding. In: Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. Image Process. (ICIP), I-201CI-204Google Scholar
- 13.Sanchez A, Shen G, Ortega A (2009) Edge-preserving depth-map coding using tree-based wavelets. In: Proc. 43rd Asilomar Conf. Signals, Syst. Proc. IEEE 10th Workshop MSP, pp 578–582Google Scholar
- 17.Zhang QW, An P, Zhang Y, Zhang ZY (2011) Efficient rendering distortion estimation for depth map compression. In: Proc. IEEE 18th ICIP, pp 1105–1108Google Scholar