Adaptive fast intra prediction for high efficiency video coding
- 233 Downloads
In this paper, a fast intra prediction algorithm for High Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC) is proposed by adopting the mode correlation between adjacent coding units. The proposed approach is realized by two pieces. Firstly, the prediction mode and partition structure for the current coding unit will inherit its optimal prediction coding unit directly if the Structural Similarity (SSIM) between the adjacent coding units satisfies the threshold condition. Secondly, unless the first case occurs, a two-step rough mode decision with adaptive threshold method including Sum of Absolute Difference (SAD) and Sum of Absolute Hadamard Transformed Difference (SATD) criterions is used to accelerate intra mode decision process based on HEVC test Model (HM) encoder. Besides, the most probable mode (MPM) which refers to the optimal prediction mode of the coded left and upper Prediction Units (PUs) surrounding the current PU is also considered. Experimental results show that the proposed algorithm can save 30.18 % encoding time on average with negligible loss of coding efficiency compared with HM10.0. The complexity and the bitrate are reduced by 11.45 and 0.46 % respectively compared with coding tree pruning method.
KeywordsHEVC Fast intra prediction Structural similarity Content adaptive
This research is funded by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (NSFC) under grants No. 61375025, No. 61075011, and No. 60675018, also the Scientific Research Foundation for the Returned Overseas Chinese Scholars from the State Education Ministry of China. We express our appreciations to the reviewers for their through review and very helpful comments, which help improving this paper.
- 1.Bossen F (2011) Common test conditions and software reference configurations, joint collaborative team on video coding (JCT-VC) of ITU-T SG16 WP3 and ISO/IEC JTC1/SC29/WG11, document JCTVC-F900, Torino, ITGoogle Scholar
- 4.High Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC) [online] http://hevc.hhi.fraunhofer.de/
- 5.Iwata K, Hashimoto R, Mochizuki S, Aizawa K (2012) Intra texture prediction based on repetitive pixel replenishment. 19th IEEE International Conference on Image Processing, Florida, pp 2933–2936Google Scholar
- 6.Jiang W, Ma H, Chen Y (2012) Gradient based fast mode decision algorithm for intra prediction in HEVC. 2nd International Conference on Consumer Electronics, Communications and Networks, Yichang, pp 1836–1840Google Scholar
- 9.Piao Y, Min J, Chen J (2010) Encoder improvement of unified intra prediction, joint collaborative team on video coding (JCT-VC) of ITU-T SG16 WP3 and ISO/IEC JTC1/SC29/WG11, documentJCTVC-C207Google Scholar
- 11.Viitanen M, Vanne J, Hämäläinen TD, Gabbouj M, Lainema J (2012) Complexity analysis of next-generation HEVC decoder. IEEE International Symposium on Circuits and Systems, Seoul, pp 882–885Google Scholar
- 12.Wallendael GV, Leuven SV, Cock JD, Lambert P, Walle RVD, Barbarien J, Munteanu A (2011) Improved intra mode signaling for HEVC. IEEE International Conference on Multimedia and Expo, Barcelona, pp 1–6Google Scholar
- 16.Yu Y, Panusopone K, Wang L, Hsiang S-T, Ishtiaq F (2010) Results for experiments on max CU size, joint collaborative team on video coding (JCT-VC) of ITU-T SG16 WP3 and ISO/IEC JTC1/SC29/WG11, document JCTVC-C259, Guangzhou, CNGoogle Scholar
- 17.Zhao L, Zhang L, Ma S, Zhao D (2011) Fast mode decision algorithm for intra prediction in HEVC. IEEE Visual Communications and Image Processing, Tainan, pp 1–4Google Scholar