A statistical reduced-reference method for color image quality assessment
- 201 Downloads
Although color is a fundamental feature of human visual perception, it has been largely unexplored in the reduced-reference (RR) image quality assessment (IQA) schemes. In this paper, we propose a natural scene statistic (NSS) method, which efficiently uses this information. It is based on the statistical deviation between the steerable pyramid coefficients of the reference color image and the degraded one. We propose and analyze the multivariate generalized Gaussian distribution (MGGD) to model the underlying statistics. In order to quantify the degradation, we develop and evaluate two measures based respectively on the Geodesic distance between two MGGDs and on the closed-form of the Kullback Leibler divergence. We performed an extensive evaluation of both metrics in various color spaces (RGB, HSV, CIELAB and YCrCb) using the TID 2008 benchmark and the FRTV Phase I validation process. Experimental results demonstrate the effectiveness of the proposed framework to achieve a good consistency with human visual perception. Furthermore, the best configuration is obtained with CIELAB color space associated to KLD deviation measure.
KeywordsReduced reference image quality assessment Steerable pyramid Color spaces Multivariate generalized Gaussian distribution Kullback Leibler distance Geodesic distance
This work has been supported by the project CNRS-CNRST STIC 02/2014.
- 1.Abramowitz M, Stegun I (1965) Handbook of Mathematical Functions. Dover Publications, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 2.CIE Publ. 15-2004, 3 Edition, Colorimetry. (CIE Central Bureau, Rd Vienna, 2004)Google Scholar
- 3.Color Science (1982) Concepts and methods, quantitative data and formulae. Wyszecki and Stiles. WileyGoogle Scholar
- 4.Decherchi S, Gastaldo P, Redi JA, Zunino R (2013) E Cambria: circular-ELM for the reduced-reference assessment of perceived image quality neurocomputing 102:78–89Google Scholar
- 6.He L, Wang D, Li X, Tao D, Gao X, Gao F (2012) Color fractal structure model for reduced-reference colorful image quality assessment. ICONIP 2:401–408Google Scholar
- 7.http://www.vqeg.org, VQEG RRNR-TV Group TEST PLAN, Draft version 1.7, 2004.6.21[EB/OL], 2005.1.10
- 9.Omari M, Abdelouahad AA, El Hassouni M, Cherifi H (2013) Color image quality assessment measure using multivariate generalized gaussian distribution. SITIS:195–200Google Scholar
- 10.Ponomarenko N, Carli M, Lukin V, Egiazarian K, Astola J, Battisti F (2008) Color image database for evaluation of image quality metrics. In: Int. workshop on multimedia signal processing. AustraliaGoogle Scholar
- 12.Sheikh H, Wang Z, Cormack L, Bovik A (2005) LIVE image quality assessment database. Retrieved from http://live.ece.utexas.edu/research/quality
- 16.Verdoolaege G., Rosseel Y, Lambrechts M, Scheunders P (2009) Wavelet-based colour texture retrieval using the kullback-leibler divergence between bivariate generalized Gaussian models. ICIP:265–268Google Scholar
- 17.Wang Z, Simoncelli E (2005) Reduced-reference image quality assessment using a Wavelet-domain natural image statistic model. In: Proceedings of SPIE 5666 (human vision and electronic imaging X), pp 149–159Google Scholar