Multifocus image fusion method of Ripplet transform based on cycle spinning
The curvelet transform can represent images at both different scales and different directions. Ripplet transform, as a higher dimensional generalization of the curvelet transform, provides a new tight frame with sparse representation for images with discontinuities along C2 curves. However, the ripplet transform is lack of translation invariance, which causes the pseudo-Gibbs phenomenon on the edges of image. In this paper, the cycle spinning method is adopted to suppress the pseudo-Gibbs phenomena in the multifocus image fusion. On the other hand, a modified sum-modified-laplacian rule based on the threshold is proposed to make the decision map to select the ripplet coefficient. Several experiments are executed to compare the presented approach with other methods based on the curvelet, sharp frequency localized contourlet transform and shearlet transform. The experiments demonstrate that the presented fusion algorithm outperforms these image fusion works.
KeywordsRipplet transform Cycle spinning Image fusion
Some of the images used in this paper are available at http://www.imagefusion.org. This work was supported in part by Natural Science Foundation of China under grant 30970782, Natural Science Foundation of Hebei Province under grant 2013210094 and F2013210109, Science and Technology Research and Development of Hebei Province under grant 10213516D, the University Science Research Project of Hebei Education Department under grant 201142. The authors also thank the editors and anonymous reviewers for their valuable suggestions.
- 4.Eslami R, Radha K (2003) The contourlet transform for image denoising using cycle spinning. Proceeding of Asilomar Conference on Signals, Systems, and Computers 1982–1986Google Scholar
- 8.Liang D, Li Y, Shen M et al (2007) An algorithm for multi-focus image fusion using wavelet based contourlet transform [J]. Acta Electron Sin 35(2):320–322Google Scholar
- 10.Ma D, Xue Q, Chai Q, Ren B (2011) Infrared and visible images fusion method based on image information. Infrared Laser Eng 40(6):1168–1171Google Scholar
- 11.Miao Q, Wang B (2006) A novel image fusion method using contourlet transform. 2006 International Conference on Communications, Circuits and Systems Processing 548–552Google Scholar
- 12.Miao Q, Shi C, Xu P, Yang M, Shi Y (2011) Multi-focus image fusion algorithm based on shearlets. Chin Opt Lett 9(4):041001-1-5Google Scholar
- 14.Qu X, Yan J, Yang G (2009) Sum-modified-laplacian-based multifocus image fusion method in sharp frequency localized contourlet transform domain. Opt Precis Eng 17(5):1203–1212Google Scholar
- 15.Xu J, Wu D (2008) Ripplet transform for feature extraction. The International Society for Optical Engineering 6970Google Scholar