A direct non-buffer rate control algorithm for real time video compression
- 202 Downloads
Rate control (RC) is crucial in controlling compression bitrates and encoding qualities for networked video applications. In this paper, we propose a direct non-buffer real-time rate control algorithm for video encoding, which has two unique features. First, unlike traditional algorithms which adopt buffers in rate control, the proposed algorithm does not use a buffer in rate regulation which can reduce the delay and improve real-time response. Second, we propose a new Proportional-Integral-Derivative (PID) bit controller to directly control encoding bitrates. In addition, we also develop a simple but effective method for real-time target bit allocation. To the best of our knowledge, this is the first work that conducts video rate control without using a buffer. Our extensive experimental results have demonstrated that the proposed algorithm outperforms the MPEG-4 rate control algorithm by achieving more accurate rate regulation and improving overall coding quality.
KeywordsRate control PID bit controller Bit allocation Video compression
This work is partially supported by NASA EPSCoR 2012 Award (No. NNX13AD32A) and faculty sabbatical leave fund from Uni. of Central Arkansas.
- 4.Leontaris A, Tourapis A-M (2007) Rate Control Reorganization in the Joint Model (JM) Reference Software. JVT-W042, 23rd meeting, San Jose, California, USAGoogle Scholar
- 5.Leontaris A, Tourapis A-M (2007) Rate Control for the Joint Scalable Video Model (JSVM). JVT-W043, 24th meeting, San Jose, USAGoogle Scholar
- 6.Li ZG, Pan F, Lim KP, Feng GN (2003) Adaptive basic unit layer rate control for JVT. JVT-G012, 7th meeting, Pattaya, ThailandGoogle Scholar
- 9.MPEG-2 Test Model 5 (1993) Doc. ISO/IEC JTCI/SC29/WG11/93-400Google Scholar
- 10.MPEG-4 Video Verification Model V8.0 (1999) ISO/IEC JTC1/SC29/WG11 N3093 (1999) Coding of Moving Pictures and Audio, MauiGoogle Scholar
- 12.Ruan R, Hu R and Li Z (2011) A novel rate control algorithm of video coding based on visual perceptual characteristic. Proceedings of the 6th International Conference on Computer Science & Education (ICCSE)Google Scholar
- 17.Sun Y, Zhou Y, Feng Z, He Z (2009) Incremental rate control for H.264/AVC video compression. Inst Eng Technol (IET) Image Process 3(5):286–298Google Scholar