Wireless multimedia delivery over 802.11e with cross-layer optimization techniques
- 297 Downloads
The use of wireless networks has spread further than simple data transfer to delay sensitive and loss tolerant multimedia applications. Over the past few years, wireless multimedia transmission across Wireless Local area Networks (WLANs) has gained a lot of attention because of the introduction of technologies such as Bluetooth, IEEE 802.11, 3G, and WiMAX. The IEEE 802.11 WLAN has become a dominating technology due to its low cost and ease of implementation. But, transmitting video over WLANs in real time remains a challenge because it imposes strong demands on video codec, the underlying network, and the Media Access Control (MAC) layer. This paper presents a cross-layer mapping algorithm to improve the quality of transmission of H.264 (a recently-developed video coding standard of the ITU-T Video Coding Experts Group) video stream over IEEE 802.11e-based wireless networks. The major goals of H.264 standard were on improving the rate distortion and the enhanced compression performance. Our proposed cross-layer design involves the mapping of H.264 video slices (packets) to appropriate access categories of IEEE 802.11e according to their information significance. We evaluate the performance of our proposed cross-layer design and the results obtained demonstrate its effectiveness in exploiting characteristics of the MAC and application layers to improve the video transmission quality.
KeywordsCompression Cross-layer H.264 Multimedia Network 802.11e Video Wireless
We thank the anonymous reviewers for their suggestions and constructive feedback that enabled us to improve the quality and presentation of this work.
- 1.Blake S et al (1998) An architecture for differentiated services, RFC 2475, DecGoogle Scholar
- 3.Draft ITU-T recommendation and final draft international standard of joint video specification (ITU-T Rec. H.264/ISO/IEC 14 496-10 AVC) (2003) In: Joint Video Team (JVT) of ISO/IEC MPEG and ITU-T VCEG, JVTG050Google Scholar
- 5.Ke C-H, Lin C-H, Shieh C-K, Chilamkurti NK, Zeadally S (2008) A novel cross-layer architecture for MPEG-4 video stream over IEEE 802.11e wireless network, In Special Issue of International Journal of Telecommunications, Issue 3–4, Volume 42, December 2009Google Scholar
- 7.Ksentini A, Gueroui A, Naimi M (2004) Novel architecture for reliable H.26L video transmission over IEEE 802.11e. 15th IEEE Int Symp on PIMRC 2004 2:1466–1470Google Scholar
- 12.Shieh C-K, Ke C-H, Hwang W-S, Chiu J-F (2001) A transparent packet pre-marking method for DiffServ. IEEE Int Conf Comm 9:2897–2900Google Scholar