Formation of Coatings on Titanium Alloys by Melting with a Beam of Relativistic Electrons
- 14 Downloads
High-strength coatings deposited on billets of titanium alloy VT1-0 by the method of electron-beam melting of a mixture of boron carbide, titanium and fluorine flux powders are studied. Metallographic and x-ray diffraction analyses and wear tests of specimens with modified layers are performed, and the microhardness of the coatings is determined. The microhardness of the surface and the wear resistance of alloy VT1-0 grow considerably after the deposition of coatings from a powder mixture with 30% boron carbide.
Key wordselectron-beam treatment wear-resistant coatings titanium alloys titanium monoboride titanium carbide
The work has been performed at the Novosibirsk State Technical University with financial support of the Ministry of Education and Science of the Russian Federation within implementation of a complex project on creation of high-technology production (Agreement No. 02.G25.31.0144 of 01.12.2015).
- 1.S. P. Belov, M. Ya. Brun, and S. G. Glazunov, The Physical Metallurgy of Titanium and its Alloys [in Russian], Metallurgiya, Moscow (1992), 352 p.Google Scholar
- 2.N. P. Lyakishev and Yu. L. Pliner, Alloying Alloys and Steels with Titanium [in Russian], Metallurgiya, Moscow (1985), 321 p.Google Scholar
- 5.Kwangjun Euh, Jongmin Lee, and Sunghak Lee, “Microstructural modification and property improvement of boride /Ti–6Al–4V surface-alloyed materials fabricated by highenergy electron-beam irradiation,” Metall. Mater. Trans. A, 32A, 2508 (2001).Google Scholar
- 6.GOST 19807–91. Titanium and Deformable Titanium Alloys. Grades [in Russian], Izd. Standartov, Moscow (1991), 5 p., act. 1992-07-01.Google Scholar
- 7.GOST 17367–71. Metals. Method of Testing for Abrasive Wear under Friction against Fixed Abrasive Particles [in Russian], Izd. Standartov, Moscow (1971), 7 p., act. 1971-12-31.Google Scholar
- 8.GOST 2789–73. Surface Roughness. Parameters and Characteristics (with Alteration No. 1) [in Russian], Izd. Standartov, Moscow (1975), 8 p., act. 1975-01-01.Google Scholar
- 9.GOST 23.208–79. Metals. Method of Testing Materials forWear Resistance against Softly Fixed Abrasive Particles [in Russian], Izd. Standartov, Moscow (1979), 4 p., act. 1979-11-29.Google Scholar
- 10.B. A. Kolachev, Physical Metallurgy and Heat Treatment of Nonferrous Metals and Alloys [in Russian], MISiS, Moscow (2001), 416 p.Google Scholar
- 11.M. G. Golkovskii, Hardening and Non-Vacuum Cladding with Relativistic Electron Beam. Technological Possibilities of the Method, LAPLAMBERT Academic Publishing (2013), 318 p.Google Scholar