Evaluation of hardenability of alloyed white irons
- 23 Downloads
A method for evaluating the hardenability of wear-resistant complexly alloyed white irons based on transition from a homogeneous austenite structure to a heterogeneous austenite-carbide structure in hardened alloys is developed. The transition occurs with respect to the chemical composition of the austenite matrix with allowance for the effect of carbides. Computation of the hardenability of a homogeneous steel matrix is performed using an earlier-developed mathematical model allowing for the mutual influence of the components dissolved in the austenite. Experimental data and computed results are used to plot a thermokinetic diagram of decomposition of austenite in complexly alloyed white iron. Analysis of the effect of the amount and type of carbides on the hardenability of alloys with austenite-carbide structure is performed.
KeywordsCarbide Austenite Martensite Bainite Bainitic Transformation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.M. E. Blanter, Heat Treatment Theory [in Russian], Metallurgiya, Moscow (1984).Google Scholar
- 2.G. I. Silman, “A method for computing phase diagrams of ternary systems with the use of coefficients of phase distribution of elements,” Zh. Fiz. Khim., Part I, LVII(2), 307–313 (1983), Part II, LVII(3), 548–554 (1983).Google Scholar
- 3.F. B. Pickering, Physical Metallurgy and Design of Steels [Russian translation], Metallurgiya, Moscow (1982).Google Scholar
- 4.I. I. Tsypin, Wear Resistant White Irons. Structure and Properties [in Russian], Metallurgiya, Moscow (1983).Google Scholar
- 5.G. I. Silman and L. G. Serpik, “A mathematical model of the hardenability of steels,” in: Raising the Quality of Castings by Advanced Methods of Melting, Alloying, and Heat Treatment of Metals, Proc. Sci.-Eng. Conf. [in Russian], Bryansk (1990), pp. 40–44.Google Scholar
- 6.Ueno Masakatsu and Imon Kametavou, J. Iron Steel Inst. Jpn., 74(6), 1073–1080 (1988).Google Scholar
- 7.I. Artinger, Tool Steels and Their Heat Treatment [Russian translation], Metallurgiya, Moscow (1982).Google Scholar
- 8.J. Ijeh, Heat Treatment of Steels [Russian translation], Metallurgiya, Moscow (1979).Google Scholar