Dependence of Characteristics of SURA Induced Artificial ULF/VLF Signals on Geomagnetic Activity
- 111 Downloads
A comprehensive study of artificial ionospheric signal generation in the ULF/VLF bands at SURA facility in Russia was conducted during the past 4 years. We investigated the influence of geomagnetic activity on the characteristics of artificial low-frequency signals under the background of increasing solar activity. No correlation of artificial ULF signals with variations of Earth’s magnetic field was observed for weak geomagnetic disturbances \((Kp \le 3)\) while the VLF signals increased in the growth phase of the geomagnetic perturbation. In case of strong magnetic storm \((Kp \ge 5+)\) a tendency of the amplitude of the ULF/VLF signals decrease with increasing magnetic disturbance was observed. Sometimes, the modulation of artificial ULF signals with a period of 15–30 s was detected in the decay phase of magnetic storms. During storm time, a change in the polarization of artificial VLF emissions was detected. The right polarization becomes predominant. Interpretation of observed peculiarities of artificial VLF signals is given in the context of the physical mechanism of ionospheric current drive by RF pumping.
KeywordsIonosphere Modification ULF/VLF generation Heating facility Magnetic storm Solar activity SURA
This work has been supported by RFBR Grants 13-02-12074 ofi_m and 13-02-00723 A.
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- B. Eliasson, C.-L. Chang, K. Papadopoulos, Generation of ELF and ULF electromagnetic waves by modulated heating of the ionospheric F2 region. J. Geophys. Res. 117 (2012). doi: 10.1029/2012JA017935. issn: 0148-0227
- D.S. Kotik, S.N. Mityakov, S.V. Polyakov, V.O. Rapoport, in Proceedings of an All-Union Symposium on the Effects of Artificial Intense Radio Wave Excitation on the Earth’s Ionosphere (in Russian), Suzdal (1983), p. 140Google Scholar
- D.S. Kotik, A.V. Ryabov, Ionospheric artificial source of radio emission generated by powerful beam of electromagnetic waves. Transactions of XXIII All-Russian scientific conference on radio waves propagation (in Russian), 1, 243–246, 2011Google Scholar
- D.S. Kotik, A.V. Ryabov, invited report: new results of experiments on generation ULF/VLF waves with SURA facility, 2012 AGU Fall Meeting, abstract ID: SA13A-2139, 5–9 December, San Francisco, California (2012)Google Scholar
- A.V. Ryabov, D.S. Kotik, Generation of ULF pulsations in the ionosphere by powerful HF radio waves (in Russian). J. Lobachevsky State Univ. 3(1), 6570 (2012)Google Scholar