Benefits to Studies of Global Sea Level Changes from Future Space Gravity Missions
- 49 Downloads
Global sea level rise will present a major scientific, environmental and socio-economic challenge during the 21st century. This paper reviews the main oceanographic and geophysical processes which contribute to sea level change, with particular emphasis on the ability of space gravity missions to contribute to an enhancement of our understanding of the various processes, and ultimately to a better understanding of sea level change itself. Of special importance is the need to understand better the ocean circulation, and the contribution of ocean thermal expansion to sea level change.
KeywordsClimate change gravity field ocean circulation sea level changes
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Balmino, G., Rummel, R., Visser, P. and Woodworth, P.: (1999). Gravity Field and Steady-State Ocean Circulation Mission. Reports for assessment: the four candidate Earth Explorer Core Missions. European Space Agency Report SP-1233(1), 217ppGoogle Scholar
- Church, J.A., Gregory, J.M., Huybrechts, P., Kuhn, M., Lambeck, K., Nhuan, M.T., Qin, D., Woodworth, P.L. 2001Changes in sea levelHoughton, J. T.Ding, Y.Griggs, D. J.Noguer, M.Linden, P. J.Dai, X.Maskell, K.Johnson, C. A. eds. Climate Change 2001: The Scientific BasisCambridge University PressCambridge881Contribution of Working Group I to the Third Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change.Google Scholar
- GRACE, (1998). Gravity Recovery and Climate Experiment science and mission requirements document. Revision A, JPLD-15928, NASA’s Earth System Science Pathfinder ProgramGoogle Scholar
- NRC1997Satellite Gravity and GeosphereNational Academy PressWashington, D.CGoogle Scholar
- Woodworth, P. L., Johannessen, J., Le Grand, P., Le Provost, C., Balmino, G., Rummel, R., Sabadini, R., Suenkel, H., Tscherning, C. C., and Visser, P.: (1998). Towards the definitive space gravity mission. Int. WOCE Newslett. 33, 37–40 and 24Google Scholar
- Woodworth, P. L., Gregory, J. M., and Nicholls, R. J.: (2004), Long term sea level changes and their impacts, in A. Robinson and K. Brink (eds.), The Sea, 13, 717–752, Harvard University PressGoogle Scholar
- Woodworth, P.L. 2003Some comments on the long sea level records from the northern MediterraneanJ. Coast. Res.19212217Google Scholar