Joint Routing and Playout Buffering of IP Telephony Flows in MANETs
- 61 Downloads
The low-cost of packet-based networking technologies with respect to traditional circuit-switched ones and the reliability of the current (wired) IP networks have brought to a considerable employment of the VoIP (Voice over IP) technologies in the voice services market. This success is expected to happen also in mobile ad hoc networks (MANETs), which may offer a good platform for the fast deployment of VoIP mobile networks. However, efforts must be made to improve performance before MANETs can be used for this purpose. One of the main limitations is related to the highly variability of the network topology and channel behavior, which heavily influences the service quality due to route losses and significant delay variations. In this paper, we propose a strategy where these impairments are jointly addressed. The source is responsible for jointly selecting the transmission paths and adjusting the playout delay, with an adaptive inter-talkspurt approach. These tasks are accomplished on the basis of historical data on network connectivity and transmission delays, and are driven by a quality-based approach. The collection of statistics of the network status relies on the QOLSR routing algorithm, whereas the voice quality is measured by means of the ITU-T E-Model.
KeywordsIP telephony MANET OLSR QOLSR QoS E-model playout buffering
This research activity is partially supported by the IKNOS project funded by the Italian Ministry of education and research and developed by the University of Cagliari, CNIT and Tiscali.
- 1.Toh CK (1997) Wireless ATM and Ad hoc NETworks: protocols and architecture. Kluwer Academic Publishers, DordrechtGoogle Scholar
- 2.Scholten H, Jansen PG, Hop L (2004) Routing in wireless multimedia home networks. Proceedings of the IEEE ICME conference, Taipei, pp. 1799–1802Google Scholar
- 3.Zou X, Ramamurthy B, Magliveras S (2002) Routing techniques for Wireless Ad Hoc NETworks-classification and comparison. Proceedings of Sixth World Multiconference on Systemics, Cybernetics and Informatics-SCI, JulyGoogle Scholar
- 4.Lee KS, Lee SJ, Chung YK (2005) A performance comparison of on-demand routing protocols for application data Mobile Ad hoc NETworks. Proceedings of the SERA Conference, pp 331–339Google Scholar
- 5.Armenia S, Galluccio L, Leopardi A, Palazzo S (2005) Transmission of VoIP traffic in multihop ad hoc IEEE 802.11b networks: experimental results. Proceedings of the WICON, pp 148–155Google Scholar
- 6.Thibodeau E, Youssef M, & Houle AC (2006) Investigating MANET performance in a VoIP context. Proceedings of the IEEE CCECE/CCGEI, pp 920–923, MayGoogle Scholar
- 7.ITU-T Recommendation G.107 (03/2003) The E-Model, a computational model for use in transmission planningGoogle Scholar
- 8.Kim K, Ganguly S, Izmailov R, Hong S (2006) On packet aggregation mechanisms for improving VoIP quality in mesh networks. Proceedings of the Vehicular Technology Conference. IEEE 63rd Volume 2, 7–10 May, pp 891–895, SpringGoogle Scholar
- 9.Castro MC, Dely P, Karlsson J, Kassler A (2007) Capacity increase for Voice over IP traffic through packet aggregation in wireless multihop mesh networks. Future Generation Communication and Networking, 2, 350–355Google Scholar
- 10.Dao NT, Malaney RA, Exposito E, Wei X (2005) Differential VoIP service in wi-fi networks and priority QoS maps. Proceedings of the IEEE GLOBECOM'05 conference 5(2–2):2653-2657, DecGoogle Scholar
- 11.Ekling J, Gidlund M, Flodin R (2007) Performance of triple play services in wireless meshed networks. Proc. IEEE International Symposium on Consumer Electronics 20–23, pp 1–5, JuneGoogle Scholar
- 12.Liang-Yi Huang. (2007). Yung-Mu Chen, Tein-Yaw Chung, and Chih-Hung Hsu. Adaptive VoIP service QoS control based on Perceptual Speech Quality. Proceedings of the Advanced Communication Technology Conference, 2, 885–890Google Scholar
- 13.Atzori L, Lobina ML (2006) Playout buffering in IP telephony: a survey discussing problems and approaches. IEEE Communications Surveys & Tutorials, pp 36–46Google Scholar
- 14.Cole R, Rosenbluth J (2001) Voice over IP performance monitoring. ACM Computer Communication Review 31(2), AprGoogle Scholar
- 15.Clausen T, Jacquet P (2003) Optimized link state routing protocol. IETF Internet Draft, draft-ietf-manet-olsr-11.txtGoogle Scholar
- 16.Ramachandra K, Ali HH (2004) Evaluating the performance of various architectures for wireless ad hoc networks. Proceedings of the 37th Annual Hawaii International ConferenceGoogle Scholar
- 18.The TUCB/LBNL/VINT Network Simulator. http://www.mash.cs.berkeley.edu/ns.