Comprehensive Analysis of the IEEE 802.11
- 99 Downloads
Wireless Local Area Networks (WLANs) have attracted significant research interest over the past few years. The IEEE 802.11 standard is the most mature technology for WLANs and has been widely adopted for wireless networks. This paper outlines a new performance analysis for IEEE 802.11 Distributed Coordinated Function (DCF) using Direct Sequence Spread Spectrum (DSSS) in terms of the channel throughput, packet processing rate, packet loss probability and average packet delay using a perfect channel as well as a slow Rayleigh fading channel. The theoretical results are subsequently compared with the simulation results. It is shown that there is a good match between these two results, which validates the analytical model.
KeywordsIEEE 802.11 WLANs performance analysis Markov
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- F. Alizadeh-Shabdiz and S. Subramaniam, A finite load analytical model for the ieee 802.11 distributed coordination function mac, in: WiOpt (2002).Google Scholar
- G. Bianchi, Performance analysis of the ieee 802.11 dcf, JSAC 18(3) (March 2000) 535–547.Google Scholar
- E.G.G. Bianchi and L. Fratta, Performance analysis of ieee 802.11 csma/ca medium access protocol, in: Proc IEEE PIRMC (October 1996).Google Scholar
- M.C.F. Cali and E. Gregori, Performance analysis of ieee 802.11 csma/ca medium access control protocol, in: Proc INFOCOM 98. IEEE (March 1998).Google Scholar
- V.V.P. Chatzimisios and A.C. Boucouvalas, Throughput and delay analysis of the ieee 802.11 protocol, in: IEEE IWNA (2002).Google Scholar
- I.C.S.L.M.S. Committee, Wireless lan medium access control MAC and physical layer PHY specifications, The Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineer, 1997.Google Scholar
- B.P. Crow, Performance evaluation of the ieee 802.11 wireless local area networking protocol, Master’s thesis, Dept. Electrical and Computer Eng., Univ. of Arizona, Tucson, AZ (1996).Google Scholar
- T.S. Ho and K.S. Chen, Performance evaluation and enhancement of the csma/ca mac protocol for 802.11 wireless lan, in: Proc IEEE PIMRC, Taipei, Taiwan (October 1996) pp. 407–411.Google Scholar
- Internet Website, “Ns2“, [Online]. Available: http://www.isi.edu/nsnam.
- L. Kleinrock, Queueing systems. New York: Wiley (1975–1976) ch. 3, p. 120.Google Scholar
- C. Perkins and E. Royer, Ad-hoc on-demand distance vector routing, in: IEEE Workshop on Mobile Computing Systems and Applications (WMCSA) (1999) pp. 90–100.Google Scholar
- T.S. Rappaport, Wireless Communication: Principles and Practice. (Printice Hall, 1996).Google Scholar
- C.C. Tan and N.C. Beaulieu, On first-order markov modeling for the rayleigh fading channel, IEEE Transactions on Communications (2000).Google Scholar
- H.S. Wang and P. Chang, On verifying the first-order markovian assumption for a rayleigh fading channels, IEEE Transaction on Vehicular Technology (1996).Google Scholar
- H.S. Wang and N. Moayeri, Modeling, capacity, and joint source/channel coding for rayleigh fading channels, in: IEEE Vehicular Technology Conference (VTC) (1993).Google Scholar
- Z.F. et al, On tcp performance in multihop wireless networks, in: UCLA WiNG Technical Report (2002).Google Scholar