Molecular cloning and mRNA expression pattern of Sox10 in Paramisgurnus dabryanus
A number of genetic studies have established that Sox10 involved in a wide range of developmental processes including sex differentiation and neurogenesis in vertebrates. A Sox10 homologue was cloned from brain of Paramisgurnus dabryanus by using homologous cloning and RACE method, designated as PdSox10. The full-length cDNA of PdSox10 contains a 312 bp 5′ UTR, a 1,476 bp open reading frame (ORF) encoding 492 amino acids and a 262 bp 3′ UTR (Accession no.: JQ217143). The overall topology of the phylogenetic tree shows that the PdSox10 fits within the Sox10 clade. During embryogenesis, PdSox10 gene seemed to be de novo synthesized in the embryos from gastrulae stage. From the somitogenesis stage and thereafter, distinct expression of PdSox10 was observed in the medial neural tube, extending from the hindbrain through the posterior trunk. In adult, PdSox10 mRNA was detected primarily in the gonads, as well as in brain and heart by RT-PCR. In situ hybridization on gonadal sections further demonstrated that PdSox10 is expressed especially in premature germ cells, in early perinucleolus stage oocytes and cortical–alveolar stage oocytes in ovaries and in spermatogonia and spermatocytes in testes. These preliminary findings suggested that PdSox10 is highly conserved during vertebrate evolution and involved in a wide range of developmental processes including neurogenesis and sex differentiation in vertebrates.
KeywordsSox10 HMG-box Paramisgurnus dabryanus In situ hybridization Neurogenesis Sex differentiation
This work is supported by grants from the National Natural Science Foundation of China (No. 31200923), Tianjin Key Laboratory of Animal and Plant Resistance Open Fund (No. 01046651012), Scientific Research Key Project Fund of the Education department of Henan Province (No. 12B180011) and Doctor Subject Foundation of Henan Normal University (No. 01046500109).
- 9.Pingault V, Bondurand N, Kuhlbrodt K, Goerich DE, Préhu MO, Puliti A, Herbarth B, Hermans-Borgmeyer I, Legius E, Matthijs G, Amiel J, Lyonnet S, Ceccherini I, Romeo G, Smith JC, Read AP, Wegner M, Goossens M (1998) Sox10 mutations in patients with Waardenburg–Hirschsprung disease. Nat Genet 18:171–173CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 10.Bondurand N, Kuhlbrodt K, Pingault V, Enderich J, Sajus M, Tommerup N, Warburg M, Hennekam RC, Read AP, Wegner M, Goossens M (1999) A molecular analysis of the Yemenite deaf–blind hypopigmentation syndrome: Sox10 dysfunction causes different neurocristopathies. Hum Mol Genet 8:1785–1789CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 11.Pingault V, Guiochon-Mantel A, Bondurand N, Faure C, Lacroix C, Lyonnet S, Goossens M, Landrieu P (2000) Peripheral neuropathy with hypomyelination, chronic intestinal pseudo-obstruction and deafness: a developmental “neural crest syndrome” related to a Sox10 mutation. Ann Neurol 48:671–676CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 19.Liu Qiongyou, Huijie Lu, Zhang Lihong, Xie Jun, Shen Wenying, Zhang Weimin (2012) Homologues of sox8 and sox10 in the orange-spotted grouper Epinephelus coioides: sequences, expression patterns, and their effects on cyp19a1a promoter activities in vitro. Comp Biochem Physiol B Biochem Mol Biol 163:86–95CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 21.Wilkinson DG (1992) In situ hybridization: a practical approach. Oxford University Press, OxfordGoogle Scholar
- 33.Cossais François, Sock Elisabeth, Hornig Julia, Schreiner Silke, Kellerer Susanne, Bösl Michael R, Russell Steven, Wegner Michael (2010) Replacement of mouse Sox10 by the Drosophila ortholog Sox100B provides evidence for co-option of SoxE proteins into vertebrate-specific gene-regulatory networks through altered expression. Dev Biol 341:267–281CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 35.Wagner T, Wirth J, Meyer J, Zabel B, Held M, Zimmer J, Pasantes J, Bricarelli FD, Keutel J, Hustert E, Wolf U, Tommerup N, Schempp W, Scherer G (1994) Autosomal sex reversal and campomelic dysplasia are caused by mutations in and around the SRY-related gene SOX9. Cell 79:1111–1120CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar