Heterogeneous genetic associations of nucleotide sequence variants with bone mineral density by gender
We examined genetic associations of previously identified sequence variants with bone mineral density and their heterogeneity by gender. Large-scale cohort data were used including a total of 8,419 subjects (4,034 males and 4,385 females) from the Korean Association REsource (KARE) cohort. Bone speed of sound (SOS) values were measured at distal radius or mid-shaft tibia by quantitative ultrasound. Genotypic associations of SOS were tested with each of nucleotide sequence variants identified by previous studies. The genetic association analysis revealed that 2 out of 11 nucleotide sequence variants were associated with SOS (rs1721400, rs7776725, P < 7.58 × 10−4). Further analysis with partitioning data by gender showed that the mid-shaft tibia phenotypes were associated with the rs1721400 and rs7776725 in females (P < 3.79 × 10−4), but not in males (P > 3.79 × 10−4). The current study suggested female-specific associations of rs1721400 and rs7776725 with bone mineral density and heterogeneity of genetic association by skeletal site measured for bone mineral density.
KeywordsBone mineral density FAM3C Heterogeneous genetic association Osteoporosis
This study was supported by Basic Science Research Program through the National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF) funded by the Ministry of Education, Science, and Technology (Grant No. 2009-0071063). We would like to thank the National Institute of Health, Korea for providing the genotypic and epidemiological data to the KARE Analysis Consortium.
- 1.Styrkarsdottir U, Halldorsson BV, Gretarsdottir S, Gudbjartsson DF, Walters GB, Ingvarsson T, Jonsdottir T, Saemundsdottir J, Center JR, Nguyen TV, Bagger Y, Gulcher JR, Eisman JA, Christiansen C, Sigurdsson G, Kong A, Thorsteinsdottir U, Stefansson K (2008) Multiple genetic loci for bone mineral density and fractures. N Engl J Med 358:2355–2365PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 2.Richards JB, Rivadeneira F, Inouye M, Pastinen TM, Soranzo N, Wilson SG, Andrew T, Falchi M, Gwilliam R, Ahmadi KR, Valdes AM, Arp P, Whittaker P, Verlaan DJ, Jhamai M, Kumanduri V, Moorhouse M, van Meurs JB, Hofman A, Pols HAP, Hart D, Zhai G, Kato BS, Mullin BH, Zhang F, Deloukas P, Uitterlinden AG, Spector TD (2008) Bone mineral density, osteoporosis, and osteoporotic fractures: a genome-wide association study. Lancet 371:1505–1512PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 3.Cho YS, Go MJ, Kim YJ, Heo JY, Oh JH, Ban HY, Yoon DK, Lee MH, Kim DJ, Park M, Cha SH, Kim JW, Han BG, Min HS, Ahn YJ, Park MS, Han HR, Jang HY, Cho EY, Lee JE, Cho NH, Shin C, Park TS, Park JW, Lee JK, Cardon L, Clarke G, McCarthy MI, Lee JY, Lee JK, Oh BS, Kim HL (2009) A large-scale genome-wide association study of Asian populations uncovers genetic factors influencing eight quantitative traits. Nat Genet 41:527–534PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 4.Styrkarsdottir U, Halldorsson BV, Gretarsdottir S, Gudbjartsson DF, Walters GB, Ingvarsson T, Jonsdottir T, Saemundsdottir J, Snottadottir S, Center JR, Nguyen TV, Alexandersen P, Gulcher JR, Eisman JA, Christiansen C, Sigurdsson G, Kong A, Thorsteinsdottir U, Stefansson K (2009) New sequence variants associated with bone mineral density. Nat Genet 41:15–17PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 5.Thorleifsson G, Holm H, Edvardsson V, Walters GB, Styrkarsdottir U, Gudbjartsson DF, Sulem P, Halldorsson BV, de Vegt F, d’Ancona FCH, den Heijier M, Fanzson L, Christiansen C, Alexandersen P, Thorunn R, Kristjansson K, Sigurdsson G, Kiemeney LA, Bodvarsson M, Indridason OS, Palsson R, Kong A, Thorsteinsdottir U, Stefansson K (2009) Sequence variants in the CLDN14 gene associate with kidney stones and bone mineral density. Nat Genet 41:926–930PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 6.Rivadeneira F, Styrkarsdottir U, Estrada K, Halldorsson BV, Hsu YH, Richards JB, Zillikens MC, Kavvoura FK, Amin N, Aulchenko YS, Cupples LA, Deloukas P, Demissie S, Grundberg E, Hofman A, Kong A, Karasik D, van Meurs JB, Oostra B, Pastinen T, Pols HAP, Sigurdsson G, Soranzo N, Thorleifsson G, Thorsteinsdottir U, Williams FMK, Wilson SG, Zhou Y, Ralston SH, van Duijn CM, Spector T, Kiel DP, Stefansson K, Ioannidis JPA, Uitterlinden AG (2009) Twenty bone mineral-density loci identified by large-scale meta-analysis of genome-wide association studies. Nat Genet 41:1199–1206PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 7.Xiong DH, Liu XG, Guo YF, Tan LJ, Wang L, Sha BY, Tang ZH, Pan F, Yang TL, Chen XD, Lei SF, Yerges LM, Zhu XZ, Wheeler VW, Patrick AL, Bunker CH, Guo Y, Yan H, Pei YF, Zhang YP, Levy S, Papasian CJ, Xiao P, Lundberg YW, Recker RR, Liu YZ, Liu YJ, Zmuda JM, Deng HW (2009) Genome-wide association and follow-up replication studies identified ADAMTS18 and TGFBR3 as bone mass candidate genes in different ethnic groups. Am J Hum Genet 84:388–398PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 8.Yang TL, Chen XD, Guo Y, Lei SF, Wang JT, Zhou Q, Pan F, Chen Y, Zhang ZX, Dong SS, Xu XH, Yan H, Liu X, Qui C, Zhu XZ, Chen T, Li M, Zhang L, Dress BM, Hamilton JJ, Papasian CJ, Recker RR, Song XP, Cheng J, Deng HW (2008) Genome-wide copy-number-variation study identified a susceptibility gene, UGT2B17, for osteoporosis. Am J Hum Genet 83:663–674PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 10.Liu YZ, Guo YF, Tan LJ, Wang L, Tan LJ, Liu XG, Pei YF, Yan H, Xiong DH, Deng FY, Yu N, Zhang YP, Zhang L, Lei SF, Chen XD, Liu HB, Zhu XZ, Levy S, Papasian CJ, Dress BM, Hamilton JJ, Recker RR, Deng HW (2009) Genome-wide association analyses identify SPOCK as a key novel gene underlying age at menarche. PLoS Genet 5:e1000420PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 11.van Meurs JB, Trikalinos TA, Ralston SH, Balcells S, Brandi ML, Brixen K, Kiel DP, Langdahl BL, Lips P, Ljunggren O, Lorenc R, Obermayer-Pietsch B, Ohlsson C, Pettersson U, Reid DM, Rousseau F, Scollen S, Van Hul W, Agueda L, Akesson K, Benevolenskaya LI, Ferrari SL, Hallmans G, Hofman A, Husted LB, Kruk M, Kaptoge S, Karasik D, Karlsson MK, Lorentzon M, Masi L, McGuigan FE, Mellström D, Mosekilde L, Nogues X, Pols HA, Reeve J, Renner W, Rivadeneira F, van Schoor NM, Weber K, Ioannidis JP, Uitterlinden AG, GENOMOS Study (2008) Large-scale analysis of association between LRP5 and LRP6 variants and osteoporosis. JAMA 299:1277–1290PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar