Eyes wide open: the (mis)use of combined power of discrimination for X-linked short tandem repeats
- 96 Downloads
In the field of Genetic Epidemiology it is well established that ignoring interallelic multipoint gametic disequilibrium (GD) introduces false-positive evidence of linkage for sib-pair (kinship) analysis, especially in cases of sample deficiencies . In the field of Forensic Genetics this proven concept is, in stark contrast, largely trivialized or ignored. There is an alarming accrual of forensic reports (Online Resource 1) announcing population data on short tandem repeats loci mapping on X chromosome (X-STRs) in which the product rule is applied to syntenic loci (i.e., being located on the same chromosome whether or not there is demonstrable genetic linkage between them), mostly ignoring the second law of Mendelian inheritance, and fundamental notions on genetic linkage status. We believe that the issue has been utterly disregarded, and thus it can no longer go unnoticed without opinion.
We center our opinion at the most crucial aspect that underlies meaningful calculation of...
KeywordsShort Tandem Repeat Product Rule Short Tandem Repeat Locus Gametic Disequilibrium Tandem Repeat Locus
- 2.Medina-Acosta E (2010) Evidence of partial and weak gametic disequilibrium across clusters of pericentromeric short tandem repeats loci on human X chromosome: Proceed with caution in forensic genetics. Forensic Sci Int Genet. doi: 10.1016/j.fsigen.2009.12.002
- 6.Brenner CH (2010) Fundamental problem of forensic mathematics—the evidential value of a rare haplotype. Forensic Sci Int Genet. doi: 10.1016/j.fsigen.2009.10.013
- 7.Pinto N, Gusmao L, Amorim A (2010) X-chromosome markers in kinship testing: a generalisation of the IBD approach identifying situations where their contribution is crucial. Forensic Sci Int Genet. doi: 10.1016/j.fsigen.2010.01.011
- 13.Gusmão L, Sanchez-Diz P, Alves C, Gomes I, Zarrabeitia MT, Abovich M, Atmetlla I, Bobillo C, Bravo L, Builes J, Caine L, Calvo R, Carvalho E, Carvalho M, Cicarelli R, Catelli L, Corach D, Espinoza M, Garcia O, Malaghini M, Martins J, Pinheiro F, Joao Porto M, Raimondi E, Riancho JA, Rodriguez A, Rodriguez Cardozo B, Schneider V, Silva S, Tavares C, Toscanini U, Vullo C, Whittle M, Yurrebaso I, Carracedo A, Amorim A (2009) A GEP-ISFG collaborative study on the optimization of an X-STR decaplex: data on 15 Iberian and Latin American populations. Int J Legal Med 123:227–234. doi: 10.1007/s00414-008-0309-4 PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 14.Bobillo C, Sala A, Gusmao L, Corach D (2010) Genetic analysis of 10 X-STRs in Argentinian population. Forensic Sci Int Genet. doi: 10.1016/j.fsigen.2009.11.005
- 15.Nakamura Y, Minaguchi K (2010) Sixteen X-chromosomal STRs in two octaplex PCRs in Japanese population and development of 15-locus multiplex PCR system. Int J Legal Med. doi: 10.1007/s00414-010-0467-z